[comp.sys.apple2] How to reformat my HD?

rudiak@garnet.berkeley.edu () (04/10/91)

Help!  I'm trying to reformat my Quantum 100MB hard drive with a different
interleave (to see if it's faster), and it isn't working.  Advanced Disk
Utility and SCSI Hacker both say "initializing drive," and then 1 second
later say they're done, but the files are still there and the interleave
hasn't changed.  Adv. Disk Util. also won't let me re-partition.  Is there
something I'm missing?

--                         \ "It's not how high you are, /   Disclaimer:
Ben Rudiak-Gould            \  it's Hi, how are you?"   /  Opinions are mine...
benji@zinc.berkeley.edu      \     -- Mike Sugarbaker  /  Mine... ALL MINE!!!!
                              \_______________________/  HA HA HAAA HAAAAAA!!

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr10.071441.2446@agate.berkeley.edu> rudiak@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:

>Help!  I'm trying to reformat my Quantum 100MB hard drive with a different
>interleave (to see if it's faster)

Quantum (and Conner, for that matter) HDs can't take a low-level
format.  They ignore the SCSI "format" call.  The drives are formatted
at the factory because the voice-coil seek mechanism requires
alignment information to always be available, and there's no way the
drive could put this information back on the disk if it was erased.

Even if you could change the interleave, the drive has a built-in
cache.  That would provide the fastest possible performance at small
or large interleaves.

Support Operation Apple Storm!          / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/