[comp.sys.apple2] IIGS. Whats happening With this Beast

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (04/08/91)

	Whats the latest GS like. Is it worth buying and is it still being
manufactured. I want to replace my //e with the GS, but do not know exectly
what they are like.

Do they have SCSI ports
How fast are the new models, as the earlier models are a joke at 2.8mhz
(What a waste of a CPU that was. We clocked the 65c816 at up to 8Mhz on a
small project CPU board)

and what sort of video does it have.

Basically we do not get them much more here in Australia, as it appears
no one can afford those sort of dollars for such little power, But
i wan't one, and i wish to make sure i am getting the right thing.

anyway, any GS Guru's out there wish to fill me in on the detail, they
are more than welcome.

thanks in advance

steve h

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/09/91)

In article <steveh.671118661@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:
>Whats the latest GS like. Is it worth buying and is it still being
>manufactured.

Since you already have an Apple //e, a IIGS would be a convenient upgrade
path, since much of your existing software could still be used, in addition
to new IIGS-only software.  There was also an upgrade kit available for the
//e; I don't know whether that is still offered.  The current version of
the Apple IIGS is still being sold; it comes with 1MB of RAM on the
motherboard (expandable via a special memory expansion slot; 2MB total is
recommended since some applications require more than 1MB) and goes by the
name "ROM 3".

>Do they have SCSI ports

No, but you can add that via a $149 SCSI interface card, the two Apple
models of which are supported by the standard operating systems.

>How fast are the new models, as the earlier models are a joke at 2.8mhz

As Apple delivers them, that is still the maximum clock rate.  However,
CPU accelerators are available from third-party vendors (Applied
Engineering's TransWarp/GS and Zip Technology's Zip Chip/GS, in three
models).  Most serious IIGS users have an accelerator (7MHz is typical).
Innovative Systems also markets a 68881-based floating-point processor
for Apple IIs.

>and what sort of video does it have.

RGB and NTSC (or PAL, etc. depending on where you buy it).  Apple also
markets a Video Overlay Card that is pretty nifty.

In article <15769@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>Since you already have an Apple //e, a IIGS would be a convenient upgrade
>path, since much of your existing software could still be used, in addition
>to new IIGS-only software.  There was also an upgrade kit available for the
>//e; I don't know whether that is still offered.  The current version of

	I am pretty sure that the upgrade kit still exists.  It is a pretty good
deal. You can easily save hundreds of dollars.  I got the upgrade a few years ago.

	The upgrade lists at about $500, yet I got it for about $420 a few years ago.
You may be able to get a good deal on it too.

	The Amiga RGB monitor is like $250 vs. Apple's $599, and it has more features.

	You can get third party Smartport drives for $189 vs. Apple's $399 list..
I don't have personal experience with any of those drives though. AE's 1.44 meg
drive would be nice though.

	You could bypass a 3.5" 800K floppy altogether and get a Brier or Insite
25 megabyte 3.5" floptical drive... They sound awesome and I think I'm gonna get one.
They cost like $600 I've been told.

>No, but you can add that via a $149 SCSI interface card, the two Apple
>models of which are supported by the standard operating systems.

	$129 Apple SCSI DMA card, and you can find it for less.. Around $100 can
be found.  Two Apple models? You mean they still make the Rev C? Why in hell?

>>How fast are the new models, as the earlier models are a joke at 2.8mhz
>As Apple delivers them, that is still the maximum clock rate.  However,
>CPU accelerators are available from third-party vendors (Applied
>Engineering's TransWarp/GS and Zip Technology's Zip Chip/GS, in three
>models).  Most serious IIGS users have an accelerator (7MHz is typical).

	This is a TOTAL joke!  I may get an accelerator, but as a "toy"..
That is, if I get a job and get some money I may buy one, but it DEFINITELY is
NOT a necessity, and I consider myself one of the most "serious" and
"dedicated" GS users.

	Hopefully System 6'll speed up the boot time a little, but with the
RamFAST card I've heard the boot can be like 15 seconds..

>Innovative Systems also markets a 68881-based floating-point processor
>for Apple IIs.

	And patches or whatever for the toolbox SANE calls, so applications that
use SANE can benefit with no need for new software.

>>and what sort of video does it have.
>RGB and NTSC (or PAL, etc. depending on where you buy it).  Apple also
>markets a Video Overlay Card that is pretty nifty.

	I think he meant graphics resolutions.. I mailed him about 'em.

--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (04/10/91)

        Well, you might know something that I don't about the "latest"
IIGS, but so far as I know, the newest GS is just the same as the old IIgs
(barring a few ROM revisions and increased memory). It still runs at 2.6-
2.8mhz, still has RGB video (I don't know what to call it exactly), and
still ain't got none SCSI port standard. Otherwise, it's a fantastic
machine, and a definite 100X improvement over the IIc and IIe! (And you
still have backwards compatibility!)
----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

tbandit@athena.mit.edu (Carlos E Reategui) (04/11/91)

In article <1335.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:
>still ain't got none SCSI port standard. Otherwise, it's a fantastic
>machine, and a definite 100X improvement over the IIc and IIe! (And you
>still have backwards compatibility!)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This can be considered very cool on Apple's part, but is probably what led
Apple to build a new computer (ie Mac, ok ok LISA came first).
It is pretty tough to build a better computer when you are trying to maintain
backwards compatibility with a machine like the Apple II where you're slots are
8bit wide slots and the CPU is too.  They did a hell of a job in making the GS
slot compatible.  The toughest part in making an infinitely better Apple II,
which is what a lot of us you like see, is making it software compatible. It
really limits Apple when they can't relocate their code (ROM, Traps, hooks)
because most the software out there is so hardware dependent.  Evcerything out
there would crash in a big way.  They tried pushing away from that with the
GS/OS and toolbox calls, where you simply make the call to thier functions
and they take care of making it work on the hardware.  Its true you can take
full advantage of a machine that way but it is definitely easier to keep making
faster and better machines and still maintain compatibility. If you don't
think so look at the Mac family.

>----
>ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
>Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
>UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
>ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

Carlos
tbandit@athena.mit.edu

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.170423.26431@athena.mit.edu> tbandit@athena.mit.edu (Carlos E Reategui) writes:
>It is pretty tough to build a better computer when you are trying to maintain
>backwards compatibility with a machine like the Apple II where you're slots are
>8bit wide slots and the CPU is too.

That argument holds no water when you look at the MeSsy-DOS world.
From the XT with 8-bit slots, to the AT with 16-bit ISA, to the better
386 and 486 boxes with 32-bit EISA, you have machines that are
backward-compatible, but still take advantage of the latest
technology.  There is no excuse for Apple to have not done the same
when they designed the IIGS--other than that Apple would just as soon
sacrifice the II in favor of the Mac.

I like my IIe a lot, but there's a lot of stuff I'd like to do
(playing with graphics, mainly) that simply can't be done.  The IIGS
is a nice computer, but it's hideously expensive for what you get--yet
another Apple tactic to get people to buy Macs.  I don't intend to
give them the satisfaction of gaining another convert; my next
computer purchase (when I get the money together) will probably be
some sort of MeSsy-DOS box, but it most definitely will not be a Mac.

Support Operation Apple Storm!          / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/