[comp.sys.apple2] I crashed my mouse interface. Help.

devernay@POLY.POLYTECHNIQUE.FR (Devernay Frederic) (04/10/91)

I have got a mouse interface on my ][+ (the same as on //es), but now it
is crashed. As I replaced all chips on the card except the (c)Apple
ones and the microprocessor (a 6821 I could replace it but I don't think
it is damaged), I think that one of these is crashed (maybe the ROM).
Here's what happens:
-Programs recognize the card as being a mouse interface.
-When the programs should initialize the mouse, the computer hangs, and
reset is the only solution.

So YOU, apple owners in the world can help me many ways:
-by telling me where I could find the damaged chip(s). these are marked:
(c)APPLE 1983   342-0268    (this one may be a PAL)
(c)APPLE 1983   342-0270
(c)APPLE 1983   342-0285    (these ones could be ROMs)
-if you have a broken mouse interface too (I only need the interface,
not mousepaint or the mouse!) maybe I could make one working with two
crashed...
-maybe you have a mouse interface but you don't use it (your old
faithfull computer is in the cellar), so why don't you sell it to me?
by this, you would make someone happy!
-you have another idea, so tell it to me...

Thank you for helping me.

Frederic Devernay
devernay@poly.polytechnique.fr

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/11/91)

devernay@POLY.POLYTECHNIQUE.FR (Devernay Frederic) writes:

>I have got a mouse interface on my ][+ (the same as on //es), but now it
>is crashed. As I replaced all chips on the card except the (c)Apple
>ones and the microprocessor (a 6821 I could replace it but I don't think
>it is damaged), I think that one of these is crashed (maybe the ROM).

A 6821 is not a microprocessor, it's a parallel interface chip. I can
buy one for a few dollars (around twenty francs) here on campus or from
an electronic wholesaler near us. I actually have one (it was used by an
EPROM burner card I bought for my ][+ -- I managed to smoke a power regulator
on it two years ago.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu