[comp.sys.apple2] Amiga sound files on the IIGS

gwilliam@ub.d.umn.edu (Gary Williams) (04/10/91)

I am wondering if there is a way for the Apple IIGS to play sound files
created with an Amiga.  I have been told that there are different formats
that an Amiga can save sound files as, but none of them seem like the
sound files I have seen for the IIGS.  Responses can be posted here, or
mailed to me at gwilliam@ub.d.umn.edu.  Thanks.

In article <1152@ub.d.umn.edu> gwilliam@ub.d.umn.edu (Gary Williams) writes:
>I am wondering if there is a way for the Apple IIGS to play sound files
>created with an Amiga.  I have been told that there are different formats
>that an Amiga can save sound files as, but none of them seem like the
>sound files I have seen for the IIGS.  Responses can be posted here, or
>mailed to me at gwilliam@ub.d.umn.edu.  Thanks.

	Amiga, GS, and Mac "standard" sound files are all virtually identical.
Sorry, I don't have a better word than "standard."

	The GS and Mac regular raw data files are identical. You probably
knew that.

	The only difference between the GS/Mac files and the Amiga files are
what the numbers are treated as.

	One of them treats the numbers as unsigned bytes and another
treats them as signed bytes. I do not know which is which, but if you
get some Amiga sound files, you can probably play them and hear at
least something recognizable.

	The conversion is easy.  After you find out which way the Amiga
treats the files and which way the GS treats the files, just add or subtract
128 to each byte to convert them.

	Voila.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /