[comp.sys.apple2] binaries postings

davewh@microsoft.UUCP (04/10/91)

I've noticed that recently people have posted binaries that were
encoded with Gscii. These postings have lower case letters in the
filename. Since BinSCII was designed under Prodos 8, it doesn't
expect to get "illegal" characters in the filename. (It's expecting
everything to be compliant with the Prodos filesystem.)

There are two cures:

1) when encoding a file, be sure that its name contains only legal
Prodos 8 characters.

2) Gscii should be changed to convert filename contents to comply to
Prodos 8 rules. This is actually a better idea than (1) since the
encoded file structure was designed EXCLUSIVELY for the Prodos 8
filesystem (it does not include lowercase letters, or forked files!).

Note that BinSCII 2.0 (which is under design) will be much more
tolerant of filenames. Any program that creates BinSCII 1.0 files
(the currently known format) should force all file data to comply to
the Prodos filesystem. Once the new format is established, this will
no longer be a problem.

As an aside, could people also make an effort to first put anything
in a Shrinkit archive before encoding with BinSCII? This usually
saves space and keeps file info with the file (ie, lowercase letters
in the filename) as well as letting people decode with sciibin and
not needing to twiddle filetype info later. Thanks.

Dave Whitney	Microsoft Corp, Work Group Apps  dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu or
I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII - send me bug reports. {...}!uunet!microsoft!davewh
I only work here. All opinions herein aren't Bill's, they're mine.
"We're samplin' - Yeah we're doin' it. We take good music an' we ruin it."
   -- "Rap Isn't Music"

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/11/91)

In article <9104110035.AA10720@beaver.cs.washington.edu> davewh@microsoft.UUCP writes:
>I've noticed that recently people have posted binaries that were
>encoded with Gscii. These postings have lower case letters in the
>filename. Since BinSCII was designed under Prodos 8, it doesn't
>expect to get "illegal" characters in the filename. (It's expecting
>everything to be compliant with the Prodos filesystem.)

   Hey, wait a minute.  I tested that.  Binscii 1.0.3 correctly unpacked
a file with lowercase characters.  Doesn't ProDOS 8 convert lowercase
characters to to uppercase for the Prodos filesystem?

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight