[comp.sys.apple2] HypercardGS Crashes?

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (04/08/91)

I just received a new CD ROM from Apple, the Spring 1991 training disk
that claims to have hypercardGS and stacks describing the new Apple II
related products, including Hypercard GS itself and the Apple IIe card
for the Macintosh LC.

Anyway, I installed system 5.0.4 on my system and then launched
hypercard GS.  After reading the disk for a few seconds, my system
crashes with a "System error 201" and I am forced to restart.

My system is a 2.25 Meg Rom 01 GS with a Transwarp GS and a RamFast
SCSI card.

I have tried removing all of my additional desk accessories with no
improvement.  I should have enough RAM, what else could be wrong?  Can
anyone verify that the version of HypercardGS on this CD ROM works?  I
copied it onto my local hard disk for speed but I cannot get the darn
thing to run.

I have heard such positive things about this program that I was really
looking forward to using it.

Thanks in advance.
Seymour Joseph

In article <Apr.7.23.59.13.1991.20908@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>Anyway, I installed system 5.0.4 on my system and then launched
>hypercard GS.  After reading the disk for a few seconds, my system
>crashes with a "System error 201" and I am forced to restart.

	$201 is a 'not enough memory' error, but you seem to know that
from your attempted solutions.

	You don't have a RAMDISK of any kind do you? Seems like it could
be overlooked somehow.

	I believe HyperCard GS requires 1.5 megs (2 megs recommended).
Hmm. Dunno..

	If you make progress, make sure to report it here..
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/08/91)

In article <Apr.7.23.59.13.1991.20908@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:

>Anyway, I installed system 5.0.4 on my system and then launched
>hypercard GS.  After reading the disk for a few seconds, my system
>crashes with a "System error 201" and I am forced to restart.

Error $0201 means you ran out of memory.

>My system is a 2.25 Meg Rom 01 GS with a Transwarp GS and a RamFast
>SCSI card.

Try making sure that you don't have a ramdisk allocated, first.  Then try
gooting from the system 504 disk itself.  If you can boot the system 504
disk, but can't run hypercard, then you probably have a ramdisk allocated.

If that doesn't work, try elaborating on what your system's setup contains
(exactly).

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

joseph@rutgers.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (04/09/91)

Thank you for your responses.  Andy asked for more information so here
it is:

Again, I have a ROM 01 Apple IIGS.  I have an octoram board with 2 one
megabyte simms in it for a total of 2 meg of expansion ram.  In slot 1
I have a RAMFAST SCSI board from CV Technologies.  In slot 3 I have a
Transwarp GS.  In slot 5 I have an MDIdeas Supersonic Stereo card and
digitizer.

I use AppleTalk for printing so I have slot 7 set to AppleTalk.

When I boot the system on my hard disk (5.0.4) I have 808k in use,
1495k free and 0k in ram disk

When I try to launch hypercard by double clicking on it, or on a
stack, it crashes with a "system error 201 occurred while loading the
next program"

When I boot from a system 5.0.4 system.disk master modified only by
having the RAMFAST driver added and the 5.25" driver removed, I have
612k in use and 1691k free.  I still have a 0k ramdisk.  The system
crashes exactly the same way.

The Hypercard on the CD ROM was created Wed Dec 5 1990 at 4:10pm and
the last modified date is Wed Dec 5 1990 at 5:58 pm.   The file is
649,910 bytes long.

I had to go through a lot of trouble to borrow a CD ROM player to use
this and other Apple II CD's.  Everything else I copied off of CD rom
works fine.   I had to return the CD ROM player so I don't know what
I'll do if the files are bad.

The files I have in my hypercard directory are:

HypercardIIGS  : the program
Hypercard.IIGS : supposedly a stack to show off the program
Home           : The home stack
Apple.IIe.card : a stack to describe the apple IIe card for the Maclc
Start.Here     : a top level stack for the other two tour stacks
Hypercard.icons: an icon file

Well, can anyone think of any other information that would shed light
on this subject?  Again, the copy of Hypercard GS I am working with
came from the 111 Spring 1991 new products CDROM from Apple.

Thanks again for any pointers

Seymour

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (04/10/91)

I know I had a problem with Hypercard GS crashing when I had the Grafspeed
NDA installed.  It worked fine when I made the NDA inactive.  See if
you have that NDA installed.

-Scott

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =

joseph@rutgers.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr9.203356.28192@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
(Scott Henderson) writes:
>I know I had a problem with Hypercard GS crashing when I had the Grafspeed
>NDA installed.  It worked fine when I made the NDA inactive.  See if
>you have that NDA installed.
>
>-Scott
>
>--
>=  R. Scott Henderson                  =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
>=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =
>=  scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu             =   my own damned fault.              =
>=  Apple II Forever!                   =              -Jimmy Buffet          =

OK,

I have tried the following:

1) Copy hypercard GS and home stack to floppy disk.
2) Boot bone stock /system.disk distribution for system 5.0.4 with hard drive
turned off.
3) Run Hypercard GS -same error System ERROR($201)

I also tried turning off the Transwarp and The RamFAST SCSI card but nothing
seems to help.

I give up.

I will either have to borrow the CDROM player again, or go buy HypercardGS
(what if I buy it and it STILL won't run?!?)

Seymour