[comp.sys.apple2] ][e Problem

reb@pro-rebel.cts.com (Richard Bryant, SysOp) (04/09/91)

I just got an old ][e that I'm trying to get running; I have a problem that
I would like some help with:

When I boot ANY disk (I'm trying as old as PRODOS 1.0.1) the PRODOS title
screen comes up, then it comes up with this (centered on the screen):

              **  RELOCATION / CONFIGURATION ERROR  **

It is NOT a platinum ][e
It is running a duodisk through an Apple Disk Controller Card
It has a regular Apple 80 Column/64K Expansion Card

I have tried PRODOS AND DOS 3.3 disks...no luck

I tried cleaning the contacts.
I tried Ctl-both apples-reset and got "RAM:F13 F12 F11 F10 F9 F8 F7 F6"

HELLLLLLLLLLLP!!!

----
ProLine:  reb@pro-rebel           (Richard Bryant) | 500th MI Brigade, Box116
Internet: reb@pro-rebel.cts.com                    | APO SF 96343-0091
UUCP:     crash!pro-rebel!reb                      | 24 Hours, up to 2400 Baud
ARPA:     crash!pro-rebel!reb@nosc.mil             | 011-81-3117-33-6301

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/09/91)

In article <8468@crash.cts.com> reb@pro-rebel.cts.com (Richard Bryant, SysOp) writes:
>I just got an old ][e that I'm trying to get running; I have a problem that
>I would like some help with:
>
>I tried Ctl-both apples-reset and got "RAM:F13 F12 F11 F10 F9 F8 F7 F6"

Sounds like original ROMs.  I'm looking at the source for the enhanced
ROMs (as printed in the IIe tech reference) and the error message it
describes for RAM is different.  In any case, it looks like your
system RAM is fried.  Try to find some 64Kx1 chips somewhere (get some
sockets as well).  Remove the original RAM chips, solder the sockets
in their place, and plug the chips into the sockets.  (I wouldn't want
to directly solder the chips; a little static could ruin your day.)
If you still have problems, maybe the MMU is bad.  This is a custom
chip, but hope is not lost; check some ads in Nibble.  Somebody in
there is selling IIe chips for something like $10-$20 each.

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Support Operation Apple Storm!          / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (04/09/91)

The message "RAM:F13 F12 F11 F10 F9 F8 F7 F6
Means the RAM chips in those locations are bad.
Strange that  seems like all of them on the motherboard.
Try swapping them with those on extended 80 col card.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) (04/10/91)

Sounds like you have a memory problem.  One of thge 64K chips on eith the
motherboard or 64K card is bad.  Boot the machine while holding both the
open Apple and closed Apple key down.  If the system is enhanced, which it
sounds like it might be, the system will begin a self test.  If a you get:

	RAM: 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 etc....

You have a memory problem.  Pull the 64K card and try to boot.  If you don't
succeed in booting you're memory problem lies on the motherboard.  Hopefully
the 8 64K chips on the from or right side of the motherboard are socket
mounted and can be individually replaced.  If not, you could have a serious
repair bill.  The chips are NOT surfaced mounted, pick up a couple of 64K
drams at a local computer store (they should be real cheap - if you can find
them) and do the memory shuffle (replace a chip - boot computer - replace a
chip - boot computer) until you locate the problem chips.  If you're intelligentenought, the above error message tells you which chip is bad (denoted by the
1.)  I forget which chips the numbers correspond to.

|                              |                                              |
| Drew Rudman                  | 9600 HST            Call             60 megs |
|  drewr@hpiosa.corp.hp.com or |                  THE CHARGE                  |
|  drudman@hpcc01.corp.hp.com  |    IBM/Apple                    24 hrs/day   |
|  Axe Slinger (#1)@The Charge |        (415) 321-4713 - Menlo Park, CA       |

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (04/12/91)

If one is replacing soldered in chips, the best way to remove them is
CUT THEM OUT NEAR THE BODY OF THE CHIPS WITH DIAGONAL CUTTERS.
Then remove the individual pins one at a time using a low wattage soldering
iron (30 watt).    This will prevent heat damage to the circuit card.
Then solder in sockets as already mentioned.