[comp.sys.apple2] Synthetic speech on GS?

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (04/02/91)

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any package for the GS that implements synthetic speech
capabilities? Specifically, something along the lines of Macintalk for the
Macintosh.

For example, you could call it passing the parms:

"Hello", 150, 150

... where the numbers represent pitch and speed and the GS responds by
saying "Hello".

I would think that this would easily be within the realm of the GS given
the Ensoniq chip and sound-related Toolbox calls.

If one doesn't exist yet, then does anybody have an idea of what it would
take to implement it and what sort of approach would work best? Better yet,
is anyone willing to take a shot at it?

--
Allan Belyea              UUCP:                          3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated       alb@cognos                     P.O. Box 9707

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (04/04/91)

ECHO!  There is a program (requires a Card) called Echo, for the Apple IIe,
C, GS.  It uses an Ampersand (&) like:
& Talk "Hello"  And the computer says, Hello. We have it at my school on a
IIe..

---
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion                  | Please Support the Apple II
Internet: aford@pro-mansion                  |
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford            | Line of computers.
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil   |
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil |

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (04/05/91)

In article <8380@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:

>ECHO!  There is a program (requires a Card) called Echo, for the Apple IIe,
>C, GS.  It uses an Ampersand (&) like:
>& Talk "Hello"  And the computer says, Hello. We have it at my school on a
>IIe..

Thanks for the response, but I'm already aware of the Echo card. What I was
looking for was something that's only required on the GS. Perhaps a custom
toolset that makes use of the built-in Ensoniq chip and the standard
sound-related toolsets.

--
Allan Belyea              UUCP:                          3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated       alb@cognos                     P.O. Box 9707
(613) 738-1338 x3822      uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!alb  Ottawa, Ontario
"... when in a Desparate situation, challenge." Sun Tzu  CANADA  K1G 3Z4

jwana@pro-midnightex.cts.com (John Wana) (04/10/91)

Hey! I've seen some software for the GS which is exactly what you need. I
believe that it's called Smooth Talker or something (that might be some
other speech software)... Anyhow, i'm positive that there is one because
i've seen it myself.  If that's not it, I'll see if I can come up with the
name
----
ProLine:  jwana@pro-midnightex
Internet: jwana@pro-midnightex.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-midnightex!jwana
ARPA:     crash!pro-midnightex!jwana@nosc.mil

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/11/91)

On Wed, 10 Apr 91 08:36:09 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:

>Hey! I've seen some software for the GS which is exactly what you need. I
>believe that it's called Smooth Talker or something (that might be some
>other speech software)... Anyhow, i'm positive that there is one because
>i've seen it myself.  If that's not it, I'll see if I can come up with the
>name

I don't know who this was intended for or what the specs were on what they
needed, but I have SmoothTalker and it's HORRIBLE!!!  I wouldn't recommend it
to ANYONE for ANYTHING.  There MIGHT be a few, extreme, exceptions to this,
but I certainly would not recommend this to anyone.  If you need more info
bout it, e-mail me and I'll tell you all about it.

>----
>ProLine:  jwana@pro-midnightex
>Internet: jwana@pro-midnightex.cts.com
>UUCP:     crash!pro-midnightex!jwana
>ARPA:     crash!pro-midnightex!jwana@nosc.mil

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

ryanb@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Ryan Baucom) (04/12/91)

   I went back and looked at the tools that came with the "Bouncing
Bluster" game... they were TOOL 050 (version 0.2) and TOOL 051 (version
0.2).  Male and Female Synthetic Speech Generation tools, respectively.  I
used UtilityWorks GS to find this info, and judging by the low version
numbers, I assume they are beta-test releases (or the tool equivalent,
anyway).
     Has anyone out there gotten this game to work on a ROM 3 GS?

   | ProLine:  ryanb@pro-charlotte                      ---------------   |
   | Internet: ryanb@pro-charlotte.cts.com             | Charlotte, NC |  |
   | UUCP:     crash!pro-charlotte!ryanb                ---------------   |
   | ARPA:     crash!pro-charlotte!ryanb@nosc.mil                         |