[comp.sys.apple2] DOS 3.3 Operating System & 3 1/2" Disks

medlin@rucs2.sunlab.cs.runet.edu (Roger Medlin) (04/02/91)

Does anyone by chance have or know where I might obtain a copy of the Apple ][
DOS 3.3 Operating System which supports the use of 3 1/2" disks ?

I have heard that while Apple Computer never provided such, there were those
who modified the operating system themselves to allow DOS 3.3 commands, etc.
to work on 3 1/2" disks, and thus allow those of us with UniDisk drives to
port our software on 5 1/4" disks over to 3 1/2" disks.

I have never had any trouble porting over programs on 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" which
run under ProDOS, but my options appear limited with regard to my DOS 3.3 OS
programs.  I have heard of a couple of programs (Menu Master, etc.) which
allow DOS 3.3 programs to run under the ProDOS enviroment, but I would prefer
to find someone who has a copy of the modified DOS 3.3 operating system which
allows the use of 3 1/2" disks.

Please EMAIL me any comments, suggestions, etc.  Thanks in advance.

						 -Roger Medlin-

drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) (04/04/91)

I have a modified dos 3.3 called Unidos 3.3 that breaks up the 800K 3.5"
disk into two 400K dos 3.3 partitions.  The system is perfectly functional and
I have been able to transfer all of my dos 3.3 based software.  Unfortunatly
I do not know if the company who created the dos3.3 patches for the system
are still around.
   |                                     |9600 bps                 60 megs |
   |             Drew Rudman             |        Call The Charge BBS      |
   |     drewr@hpcc01.corp.hp.com or     |      IBM/Apple Support 24hrs    |
   |      drewr@hpiosa.corp.hp.com       | (415) 321-4713 - Menlo Park, CA |
   |_____________________________________|_________________________________|

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (04/07/91)

In article <1520010@hpcc01.HP.COM> drudman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) writes:
>I have a modified dos 3.3 called Unidos 3.3 that breaks up the 800K 3.5"
>disk into two 400K dos 3.3 partitions.  The system is perfectly functional and
>I have been able to transfer all of my dos 3.3 based software.  Unfortunatly
>I do not know if the company who created the dos3.3 patches for the system
>are still around.

If this is the same program I've heard about... I believe it was put out by
the company that publishes Nibble Magazine!

Usually they ran ads like that on the back cover...

Sounds like a good deal to me!

(I just went to get a copy of the magazine...)

I know I shouldn't do this, but:

UniDOS
...Allows thousands of dos 3.3 AppleSoft programs to run with large
capacity 3.5 inch disk drives...

...runs on any Apple II series computer and is compatible with:
Apple UniDisk 3.5, Apple 3.5 inch disk...

MindCraft software (800)888-1660

Order No. C22  ...  $39.95

I have no association with MindCraft... I just think this could
be important information for some!

Good Luck!

Mike

M_Ray_Brooksby@cup.portal.com (04/07/91)

I recently purchased UniDOS Plus from MindCraft and found it performs as
advertised.  I have a number of programs which require DOS 3.3, but only
have 800k drives since I traded up from a IIe to my GS.  Those programs,
noteably the LDS Church genealogy program, work fine under UniDOS.

I'm a happy customer...

Ray
RayB@cup.portal.com
"I'm full of opinions...none of which belong to anyone..."

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (04/09/91)

Another option is AMDOS.
It allows one to put Dos 3.3 programs on 3.50" disks.
AMDOS is either FreeWare or ShareWare.
If anyone wants more info, send me E-Mail.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (04/11/91)

|I have a modified dos 3.3 called Unidos 3.3 that breaks up the 800K 3.5"
|disk into two 400K dos 3.3 partitions.  The system is perfectly functional and
|I have been able to transfer all of my dos 3.3 based software.  Unfortunatly
|I do not know if the company who created the dos3.3 patches for the system
|are still around.

UniDOS 3.3 is published by MicroSPARC... through Nibble Magazine.  I beleive
it's UniDOS 3.3+, now.  Hey, hows about supporting Nibble Magazine... it's
getting REALLY thin!
.
s.s

whitewolf@gnh-starport!info-apple

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (04/12/91)

In article <m0jQtOg-000045C@jartel.info.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
>UniDOS 3.3 is published by MicroSPARC... through Nibble Magazine.  I beleive
>it's UniDOS 3.3+, now.  Hey, hows about supporting Nibble Magazine... it's
>getting REALLY thin!

Yeah, I just got the May issue yesterday, and it's only about 40 pages
long. I've got a 2 year subscription though, and I plan on keeping it!

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six