[comp.sys.apple2] drive lockup

ieeug330@Eagle.oscs.montana.edu (Mark Wistey) (04/06/91)

Why does my Apple 3.5" disk drive occasionally lock up?  When a
program accesses it, the "in use" light comes on for both the 3.5"
AND the daisy-chained 5.25", and the computer visits Never-Never
Land.  The GS's at my old high school used to do it regularly until
we pulled all the plates out of the back to allow adequate ventilation.
But I just turned my machine on, loaded TIC, and the machine died.
I've got a Woz revision (with new ROM) with only two cards.  If this
is an overheating problem, why'd it lock up now, first thing in the
morning?  All help is appreciated!

Mark Wistey

gmw1142%msu3.dnet@terra.oscs.montana.edu (InterNet)  | Sailboards, Apple II's,
gmw1142%msu3.dnet@mtsunix1                (BITNet)   | Christ-like living,
Quad D, #308, Bozeman, MT 59715, USA      (BikeNet)  | Music, and Physics  :-)

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (04/11/91)

|Why does my Apple 3.5" disk drive occasionally lock up?  When a
|program accesses it, the "in use" light comes on for both the 3.5"
|AND the daisy-chained 5.25", and the computer visits Never-Never
|Land.  The GS's at my old high school used to do it regularly until
|we pulled all the plates out of the back to allow adequate ventilation.
|But I just turned my machine on, loaded TIC, and the machine died.
|I've got a Woz revision (with new ROM) with only two cards.  If this
|is an overheating problem, why'd it lock up now, first thing in the
|morning?  All help is appreciated!
|
|Mark Wistey

Sounds like you have the old Apple 3.5 problem... I don't know if they still do
this, GS support been what it is, but you have to get the control circuit board
in the 3.5 replaced.  The first ones were bit buggy, the revision works fine.

whitewolf@gnh-starport!info-apple

max@isis.eng.hou.compaq.com (Max Heffler) (04/12/91)

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:

>|Why does my Apple 3.5" disk drive occasionally lock up?  When a

>Sounds like you have the old Apple 3.5 problem... I don't know if they still do
>this, GS support been what it is, but you have to get the control circuit board
>in the 3.5 replaced.  The first ones were bit buggy, the revision works fine.

There was a free Daisy-chain interface board upgrade for the Apple 3.5
inch drives.  I don't know if it is still free...
--
Max Heffler, Senior Software Engineer        internet: max@compaq.com
Compaq Computer Corporation     uucp: ..!uunet!max@compaq.com