[comp.sys.apple2] Ensoniq Chip and Video sound production

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (04/13/91)

	I think I've asked this before, but what is the playback resolution
of the ensoniq chip?  I think it is 8bit, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.  Any
software tricks to make the output psuedo-16 bit (like sampling at 16 and the
messing with more than one sound generator pair...).  Anyway, my thought was
to use the GS as a Video sound production workstation (a very limited one).
Stripe the video tape with SMPTE, use a SMPTE to MIDI converter to a GS midi
interface, and trigger the playing of samples from the GS.  Along with playing
a MIDI sequence at the same time, this could be very powerful.  Sorta like
a cheap version of Opcode's Studio Vision.  If the GS output is 8 bit then
it might not be up to the quailty I'd like.  What do you people think?

oh yeah, is it possible to de-multiplex more than two channels of sound
from the GS?  I think I read somewhere that it is possible...

					thanks...

Ken Morton				"A vacant engineer rides on a
v097pba8@ubvms.Bitnet			 train of thought that will not
v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu		 lead him home" - Edie Brickell

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/13/91)

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) writes:

>	I think I've asked this before, but what is the playback resolution
>of the ensoniq chip?  I think it is 8bit, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.  Any
>software tricks to make the output psuedo-16 bit (like sampling at 16 and the
>messing with more than one sound generator pair...).

Here's the deal: 32 oscillators, each reads 8 bit sound data and pumps it
through its own 8-bit volume setting. You could fake 15 bit sound by having
7 oscillators with powers of 2 in their volume settings, and updating them
REALLY FAST. I'd have to look at it a bit more but I don't think you can
do it without sucking up all of the CPU time while the sound is playing --
sorta like 3200 color pictures.

>oh yeah, is it possible to de-multiplex more than two channels of sound
>from the GS?  I think I read somewhere that it is possible...

Sure, the DOC supports 16 but Apple's connector on the motherboard only
supports 8 (big deal, the stereo cards only use 2). What happens is a
binary channel number shows up with a clock signal, and you are supposed
to Sample&Hold the analog output into the specified channel as long as you
can (never more than 38 uS if a sound is playing). There was a card that
did 8 outputs, but I never saw it advertised anywhere.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/13/91)

On Fri, 12 Apr 91 20:01:59 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>	I think I've asked this before, but what is the playback resolution
>of the ensoniq chip?  I think it is 8bit, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.  Any
>software tricks to make the output psuedo-16 bit (like sampling at 16 and the
>messing with more than one sound generator pair...).

The VOLUME resolution is 8 bits... I don't know if it's possible to do
psuedo-16 bit volume.  The PLAYBACK resolution is 46720 Hz, or at least,
that's the maximum rate the Sonic Blaster Software will let you play a
sample back.  I can't find the actual maximum limit in any of my books.

>oh yeah, is it possible to de-multiplex more than two channels of sound
>from the GS?  I think I read somewhere that it is possible...

It's possible to de-multiplex up to 8 channels.  The address of the current
channel can be found on pins 4,5, & 7 of the 7 pin Molex connector on
the front right corner on the GS motherboard.  Pin 6 is is the channel address
strobe.

>Ken Morton				"A vacant engineer rides on a
>v097pba8@ubvms.Bitnet			 train of thought that will not
>v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu		 lead him home" - Edie Brickell

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (04/13/91)

You can have up to eight channels of sound depending on the demultiplexers
you have and the way you set them up. Last night, I spent some time looking
over a demultiplexer circuit, trying to figure out how to get eight channels
with the minimum amount of chips. When you figure eight channels, that is
eight amplified speakers you have to set up, so I stayed with just four
channels.

Daniel Thingvold  thingvol@lax.wisc.edu   Bob's Butchering and Hairstyle Salon
                          @uwlax.bitnet   We give you the cuts you want