[comp.sys.apple2] Fujitsu HD and Mac 3.5" drives

usenet@agate.berkeley.edu (USENET Administrator) (04/13/91)

I am considering buying a hard drive for my GS in the near future.  I've been
looking around various magazines for prices of hard drives in the 80-100 meg
range.  So far I've narrowed it down to three brands.  Quantums, Conners and
Fujitsu's.  I am not considering Seagates because I have heard of too many
horror stories of how their Seagate died on them.  What I need to know is how
reliable are these drives?  I've heard good things about the Conners and
Quantums but have heard very little about the Fujitsu drives.  Does anyone
here have a Fujitsu (3.5") HD hooked up to their II?  How is it working for
you?  Do you know of any major problems with Fujitsu drives?

Another question I have is, I've seen ads in MacWEEK for 3.5" external floppy
drives for the Mac for $99.  These are suppose to be fully Mac compatilble.
Will these drives work on a GS?  They are smartport devices right?

Thanks.

Terry Yeung                      \ Internet: terryy@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Vice President External Affairs   \ FidoNet: Terry Yeung @ 1:125/27
Cal-Animage, UC Berkeley           \ RBBS-Net: Terry Yeung @ 8:914/207

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr12.235312.17576@agate.berkeley.edu> usenet@agate.berkeley.edu (USENET Administrator) writes:

>I am considering buying a hard drive for my GS in the near future.  I've been
[...]
>reliable are these drives?  I've heard good things about the Conners and
>Quantums but have heard very little about the Fujitsu drives.  Does anyone
[...]

Terry,
 I can't comment about the Fujitsu drives, but I have owned a drive
that uses the Connor 3.5" mechanism for about a year. I own a
Micronet MP100 that is marketed for the Mac (but works perfectly
well with a //). They are quiet, quick & the MP100 has a small
footprint...no larger than an Apple 3.5" drive. It takes its
power from the daisy chain port of an external disk drive or
directly from the Smartport (depending on your drive setup). I love
mine and would highly recommend it.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer