[comp.sys.apple2] Apple's PCN proposal

mcgurrin@MWUNIX.MITRE.ORG (04/11/91)

According to Network World (April 1, page 6), Apple's PCN proposal asks for
40 MHz somewhere in the 1850 - 1990 MHz range.  They do not want PCNs
to be required to use spread-spectrum techniques.  Apparently there are
currently tests underway to see if PCNs using spread-spectrum could co-exist
with existing microwave users.

Correction to above:  The Apple proposal is for PCS, not PCN, PCN refers to
voice services.

tsouth@techbook.com (Todd South) (04/14/91)

In article <9104111615.AA24784@mwunix.mitre.org> mcgurrin@MWUNIX.MITRE.ORG
writes:
>According to Network World (April 1, page 6), Apple's PCN proposal asks for
>40 MHz somewhere in the 1850 - 1990 MHz range.  They do not want PCNs
>to be required to use spread-spectrum techniques.  Apparently there are
>currently tests underway to see if PCNs using spread-spectrum could co-exist
>with existing microwave users.
>
>Correction to above:  The Apple proposal is for PCS, not PCN, PCN refers to
>voice services.

You have got to be frickin' kidding!  I can't believe that Apple truly
expects the FCC to dish out 40Mhz in the 1850-1990 range!  There are
just a few other things running in that range right now and I doubt that
Apple would begin to compare anything they sell to the importance of
SAR or other constant frequencies.  Can someone from Apple PLEASE provide
a complete spec sheet on this proposal.  I thought that maybe you wanted
a few local low frequency channels over a LAN or something but from
what I am seeing this just doens't sound possible.

Todd South

tsouth@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!tsouth
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257
Public Access User --- Not affiliated with TECHbooks