[comp.sys.apple2] Notes and Comments: Apple II 4/91

mlyons@pro-fla.cts.com (mlyons, SysAdmin) (04/14/91)

| Notes and Comments  -  Apple II
| Dedicated to the Deprived Apple II Users Everywhere,  April 1991
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
/\> In this Issue

- Comments
- SPA
- Dead or Alive by A2GS
- Chip Market
- New Book by Addison Wesely
- Apple Ships Apple IIe Card for Macintosh

   _________   ________  _________  _________  ________  __________
  |         | |        ||         ||         ||        ||          |
  |  R.I.P. | |  R.I.P.||  R.I.P. ||  R.I.P. || R.I.P. ||  R.I.P.  |
  | Apple I | |Apple II||Apple II+||Apple IIe||AppleIIc||Apple IIc+|
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Apple IIgs sits and cries....      As a hole is dug and tome stone cut!

Only Apple II in production is the IIgs....     Is Apple Inc. any stronger!

Apple President John Sculley was recently discussing some of Apple's future
plans. One interesting comment "all Apple products will eventually use RISC
processors." Could the Mac be joining the Apple II's in a few years???
True!            But are the Macintosh owner's as loyal as Apple II owners!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

/\> Software Publishers Association speaks out!

Software Publishers Association is one of the crusaders against piracy of
computer software. They have been raiding and bringing lawsuits against
pirates. SPA estimates that for every one program sold, at least one copy
is made, however Aldus estimates that for every one of their programs sold,
three to eight copies are made. Apple, Microsoft, WordPerfect Corp, and
Aldus are just a few of the many publishers supporting the SPA.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

/\>  Dead or Alive  A2GS from America OnLine

II Forever - II Infinitum - The power ][ be your best...The Apple II
....this machines fate rests with 2 groups...

1) Apple
2) The Apple II Users themselves

Currently, I'd say that the machine was sick..possibly suffering with a bad
case of pneumonia...but with a good chance of recovery.  We all know what
Apple could do to cure the machine...release a new machine with SOME
fanfare (it doesn't even have to outshine that of the Macs neverending
fanfare).  But as that is something which is up in the air (very high up in
the air)...the next alternative is for Apple to at least show some public
support for the II as a machine.....none of the "bridging the Mac and II"
garbage (I'm sick of that crap and will probably blast the next guy who
gives me that line with a load of uncontrolled insults)....this
alternative, although promised for more then a year now, has yet to
materialize....what happens on Apple's end remains to be seen.  On the
other side of the spectrum....the II is unique in MANY ways....it's the
oldest surviving computer line in computer history, it still manages to
survive,  DESPITE Apple....most computers couldn't survive even WITH the
backing of their parent company...The II survives without Apple's public
support.  The Apple II's current fate is VERY much UNlike that of the
Amiga...everyone said the II would die YEARS ago, yet it's still around
used by millions of people everyday.  People said the Amiga was
revolutionary and would EASILY outlive the weak...slow...poor excuse for a
computer, Apple II (GS)...that remains to be seen....one thing is for
sure....you can start preparing a coffin for the Amiga, it make take a
couple of years, but it will end up in one.  The same cannot be said for
the II.....YET.  Apple II users/owners are more dedicated then any other
group of computer owners (and that is a fact) and the fact that companies
such as Vitesse, Seven Hills, Quantum Computers, (and at least a dozen
others) etc...still continue to back the machine with development should
prove that point....unfortunately that's not enough....I think, II users,
although they love to grumble, still take what Apple gives them and in
general aren't vocal enough and without being more active...they will end
up writing the computers epitaph...How do they get more active???  Use you
imagination and then propose it to other II people.  As I said before the
II is an INCREDIBLY Unique machine and therefore....it's future of death or
survival is also Unique.

Closing Quote: "Only you can make a difference, only you"
                                        - Smokey the Bear  - A2GS - Apple

II Forever - II Infinitum - The power ][ be your best.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>> Editor Note: Portions edited, if you want the complete file; call Pro-Fla
at 813/885-1552, 1200-9600 v32,v42 and request from the DL "a2madeit.ordead"
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

/\> New Book by Addison Wesely

  Addison Wesely, the publishers of the Apple technical reference library
has a new book. Hypercard IIgs Script Language is their newest addition to
the family. This book is not meant to be a HCGS  (HyperCard GS) tutorial,
rather a reference manual, or a more detailed aid for the HCGS developer.

Each of the different scripting commands was listed along with syntax,
examples, and notes. The layout is very similar to the Toolbox Reference
Manuals for the GS. If you are planning on doing some development work with
HCGS, than this book would be well worth the $32.95 price tag.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

/\> The Chip Market
 ___________________________________256x1___256x4___1024__ Verified
 Quality Computers   800/996-1508   19.95   25.95   69.95  2/18/91
 Roger Coats         800/438-2883   19.00   20.00   69.00  2/18/91
 Programs Plus       800/832-3201   23.00    n/a     n/a   2/18/91
 Preferred Computing 800/327-7234   25.00   25.00   71.00  1/28/91
 CDA Computer Sales  800/526-5313   23.00   29.00   72.00  2/18/91
 Fas-Track Computer  800/272-1600   21.00   20.00   69.00  1/28/91
 LRO Computer Sales  800/869-9152   18.00   17.50   67.00  1/28/91
 VMC Marketing       800/776-6601   21.00   21.00   68.00  1/28/91
 TMS Peripherals     800/626-6347   25.00    n/a    66.00  2/18/91

      Know of any other companys that sell chips at a good price?

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Publisher note:  Notes and Comments will now be posted by the second
                 wednesday of each month with the deadlines at the
                 last day of the month.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Apple Ships Apple IIe Card for the Macintosh LC Computer

One of the world's largest collections of personal computer software is now
available to owners of the new Apple Macintosh LC personal computer who
 purchase the Apple IIe Card announced in October 1990.

"The Apple IIe Card is especially good news for customers who already have
a large investment in Apple IIe and Apple IIc software," said Bob Puette,
president of Apple USA. "It also gives greater freedom of choice to new
computer owners who want to enjoy the benefits of Macintosh-style computing
and still be able to choose from the huge library of Apple II programs
already written for education, home and business."

The Apple IIe Card takes full advantage of the Macintosh LC computer's
peripherals, including the monitor, keyboard, floppy drive and mouse. The
new card comes with 128K random access memory (RAM) and can use up to 1MB
of the Macintosh LC personal computer's RAM. The card also features a
floppy disk drive controller and connector ports, allowing customers to
connect to a 5.25-inch floppy disk drive and an Apple joystick.

"Because the card contains a 65C02 microprocessor, this is virtually an
Apple IIe 'computer on a card.' It gives a high level of compatibility with
existing Apple IIe programs and in most cases actually runs them with a
speed, clarity of color and resolution that are even better than what
they'd be on a standalone Apple II computer," said Puette.

Apple created the Apple IIe Card as an option for the processor direct slot
on the Macintosh LC computer to address the special needs of schools and
other customers with an investment in Apple II technology and software. The
card is shipping according to the schedule promised at the October 15
introduction of the low cost Macintosh products.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

General Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed within these bytes do not
necessarily reflect the views of Pro-Fla or any other electronic
bulletin board service where this is found. Trademarks, logos, brand and
product names are registered trademarks of their respective holders.
If you wish to submit an article, or disagree with anything contained on
these bytes, write or ask your sysop to send your message to;

  INET: editor@pro-fla.cts.com         |     Notes and Comments
  UUCP: crash!editor@pro-fla           |     Apple II Editor
  ProLine: pro-fla!editor              |     9623 Sun Dial Dr.
  AOL: Handles                         |     Tampa, FL 33635-1125

Call Pro-Fla (813)885-1552. <8N1> 1200-9600 v32, v42.
Next month deadline: 4/30/91  *Copyright (c) Michael A.Lyons*
Editor, founder, publisher, and gofor: mlyons@pro-fla.

rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roby Sherman) (04/14/91)

In <8567@crash.cts.com> mlyons@pro-fla.cts.com (mlyons, SysAdmin) writes:

>   _________   ________  _________  _________  ________  __________
>  |         | |        ||         ||         ||        ||          |
>  |  R.I.P. | |  R.I.P.||  R.I.P. ||  R.I.P. || R.I.P. ||  R.I.P.  |
>  | Apple I | |Apple II||Apple II+||Apple IIe||AppleIIc||Apple IIc+|
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>The Apple IIgs sits and cries....      As a hole is dug and tome stone cut!

>Only Apple II in production is the IIgs....     Is Apple Inc. any stronger!

What *IS* this load of crap? The //e is very much alive and well. It is not
only shipping, BUT it is STILL being made!

Maybe you should do a little work, before you post something like this, it's
what I like to refer to as RESEARCH! sheesh!

>Apple President John Sculley was recently discussing some of Apple's future
>plans. One interesting comment "all Apple products will eventually use RISC
>processors." Could the Mac be joining the Apple II's in a few years???
>True!            But are the Macintosh owner's as loyal as Apple II owners!

Well that's! great! Then WE KNOW the II users have a future! It has been
stated in the past that the 65xx series *IS* the worlds first RISC
(Reduced Instruction Set) so I guess, WE Apple II users had the
technology before everyone else did! <grin>

--
Internet  : rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu