[comp.sys.apple2] SoundSmith problems on 1.125 GS

ryanb@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Ryan Baucom) (04/12/91)

   This is in reply to smacfee@jarthur.claremont.edu...  I forget your
specific question about SoundSmith, but I think I can help anyway.
I'll describe my setup to you, and maybe it'll work for you too.
   I have a ROM 3 GS with standard memory (1.125 Meg), a Vulcan 40, plus
some other unimportant stuff.  I tried starting SoundSmith v.94 from the
Finder, but I kept getting an error $0201 (Out of Memory, or something to
that effect).  I tried to find a way to bypass the Finder to free up some
more memory.  I found two ways:
   1) create a GSOS system floppy, but remove the finder files.
( */System/Start, I think).  Essentially, replace the default startup
application with SoundSmith.  Any application with ".SYSTEM" on the end
will work.  Don't forget to install the proper tools installed in
*/System/Tools.  For my SoundSmith disk, I use the following tools:
14-16, 18-23, 25-29, 32-34.  For my regular hard disk, I use the same tools
plus 35 (MIDISynth) and 219 (SoundSmith Player, I believe).  Anyway, boot
this disk and SoundSmith will be loaded automatically.
      2) as a more flexible option, use Don Elton's ECP-16 or other
text-based program launcher.  This allows more flexibility than a single
application-specific disk.  Not as handy as the finder, but it's fast and
doesn't take as much memory.  This is also a good way to free up extra
memory for word processors, games, etc.

     Hope this helps- let me know if you can get it running.

   | ProLine:  ryanb@pro-charlotte                      ---------------   |
   | Internet: ryanb@pro-charlotte.cts.com             | Charlotte, NC |  |
   | UUCP:     crash!pro-charlotte!ryanb                ---------------   |
   | ARPA:     crash!pro-charlotte!ryanb@nosc.mil                         |

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (04/12/91)

In article <8534@crash.cts.com> ryanb@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Ryan Baucom) writes:
>   1) create a GSOS system floppy, but remove the finder files.
>( */System/Start, I think).  Essentially, replace the default startup
>application with SoundSmith.  Any application with ".SYSTEM" on the end
>will work.  Don't forget to install the proper tools installed in

BTW, a file that ends in ".SYSTEM" is supposed to be a Prodos 8 SYS
file, and a file that ends in ".SYS16" is supposed to be a Prodos 16
(ick!) or GS/OS S16 file (such as SoundSmith).

Anyone knows what happens when you call a S16 file *.SYSTEM? (or vice
versa?)

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (04/14/91)

In article <47081@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>[...]
>Anyone knows what happens when you call a S16 file *.SYSTEM? (or vice
>versa?)

Nothing interesting should happen--the only special thing about the suffixes
is that the system looks for type $FF files ending in ".SYSTEM" and type
$B3 files ending in ".SYS16", if it doesn't find a *:System:Start program
first.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.