[comp.sys.apple2] DreamGrafix

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (09/21/90)

	Well, I just got back to CU and thus back on the net.  I was wondering if DreamGrafix (instead of DreamGraphix) Demo 2 and the DreamVision Demo have been posted up to the comp.binary.apple feed.  If they haven't been, I will do so.

	Also, I was wondering if anyone had anymore information regarding the VOC, and 3200 color pictures.  Specifically, why doesn't it work, because we would like to have a displayer that will work with the VOC, if possible.  And we will also need beta-testers with VOC's to test DreamGrafix with.  As for the status of the project, I would say it is 50% or more done.  Since school has started, I'm not sure when the project will be finished.  I would like to be finished by AppleFest in Dec.  If you have any ques

tions, comments, or suggestions about DreamGrafix or DreamVision, leave me e-mail.  We are now considering a 640 16 dither, and some other features.

	Also, we are in need of a publisher.  Please leave me mail, and we will work from there.

Steve Chiang

Internet Address in case you didn't get it

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (09/21/90)

  	Since my last message wasn't formatted properly, I'll repost
it.

    	I was wondering if the DreamGrafix (new spelling) Demo 2 and
the DreamVision demos were posted in the comp.binaries.apple2 feed?
Because if they aren't I'll go ahead and post them.

	If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about
either program please leave me e-mail.  We are now considering a 640/
16 dither mode, and some other features.  Right now I'd say the
program is 50% or more done.  But alas school has started and there
hasn't been very much free time.  We're hoping to get the program done
by 'fest in dec., but more realistically, it will probably done in mid
Jan. after winter break.

	We are looking for a publisher, so if you are interested,
leave me mail.  Also please ask/ give me any questions or comments.
We're also working on another DreamVision style demo, possibly in 3200
colors.

	One more thing, if anyone knows why the VOC won't work with
3200 colors, because we would like to have a viewer that will work
with the VOC...

thanks...

Steve

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (11/26/90)

Has anyone out there in net-land actually purchased a beta copy of
DreamGrafix? I remember that around 2 weeks ago, there was a demo
floating around. Although the demo did not reveal much about the
actual paint program, it was an impressive demo.

The demo #3 had Soundsmith music and animation in 3200 colour mode, so
whoever's doing the programming for this program must know what he's
doing. I saw the previous demos, and the program seems really nice.

3200 colour mode has not been really exploited on the GS, and it's a
shame really. 3200 colour mode has a lot of potential. If it's
possible to do animation on a 3200 colour mode, we could have some
great looking screens with scrolling text etc. It could be used in
programs like Bard's Tale which don't require much animation or
processor time.

There doesn't seem to be much discussion of the 3200 colour mode. It
probably has something to do with the fact that all we have are slide
show programs put out by John Brooks and The FUCK.

However, with the emergence of DreamGrafix, there is hope that we
could see more 3200 colour products. If DreamGrafix does well, I'm
sure that more products will follow. It would be impressive to see
Hypercard GS and Hyperstudio GS supporting 3200 colour modes... The
possibilities are pretty much endless.

Well, now that I've raved on about the benefits of 3200 colour mode on
the GS, I'm going to order the beta version of DreamGrafix so I can
generate more interest in the 3200 colour mode. From what I
understand, DreamGrafix is able to support virtually all Graphics
modes except 640 mode.
It might sound like a scam but since they're offering updates as soon
as they're available, it's a pretty good deal. Who knows? They might
even raise the price on the final product.

$50 is a really good deal for a paint program!

After I get my copy, I'll write a review about it, if somebody hasn't
done it already.

Come on guys... The GS isn't a dead computer. It's up to you to make
your computer seem alive... Enough of the moaning and bitching about
Apple's support.
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (04/10/91)

       Steve Chiang was asking about software copyrights and publishers'
rights...hmmm...sounds like he's got a product almost ready to go, eh??

        "Coming Soon: DreamGrafix  3200 color power"

        Uh, HOW soon is that? :) (Just kidding, I can't wait. That would be
a truly AWESOME program that would blow the boxer shorts off Macintosh and
IBM VGA!)

        Keep up the good work, and let us know how soon your product is
going to arrive!

----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (04/11/91)

In article <1332.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:
>       Steve Chiang was asking about software copyrights and publishers'
>rights...hmmm...sounds like he's got a product almost ready to go, eh??

	Not quite.  It's getting there, anyway I asked, because we've
been chewing on this problem concerning piracy.  If we put as serial
number in the file, encrypted and all, how does this protect us?
We've thought about a very passive, install the master disk the very
first time the program is run off a hd or something, and it will write
a permanent patch to the program not to call that routine anymore...
but I'd like to see DreamGrafix uncopyprotected.  Our other idea was
to keep the price of the product low, to help convince people to buy
it and not copy it.  We'll see how it goes...

>        "Coming Soon: DreamGrafix  3200 color power"
>
>        Uh, HOW soon is that? :) (Just kidding, I can't wait. That would be
>a truly AWESOME program that would blow the boxer shorts off Macintosh and
>IBM VGA!)

	I'd hate to give you a date and not be able to meet it. :P  I can
assure you the a lot of progress has been made on the program, and it
has grown and grown...  right now it is a 200k s16 file... and it's
not done.  I have some converted 3200 GIF's from the IBM (VGA)...
that'll take your breath away...  (why get gif's from macs... anyway.)
I'll put some up on comp.binaries.. sometime in the near future!

>        Keep up the good work, and let us know how soon your product is
>going to arrive!

	We will.  We're juggling full time student status, jobs and
DG... but it'll be out soon.

Steven Chiang                  Coming Soon:  DreamGrafix  3200 color power
stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
America On_Line:  DWS Steve    Apple IIgs Forever!
#  With a 4 line .sig, which is all my mailer will post!  :P  #

gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) (04/14/91)

I recently download 3201 pictures from comp.binaries.apple2
and was wondering what program to view it on the Gs?

The viewer for 3200 pictures doesn't work properly w/3201's.

--
Michael Gammal		Concordia University    	gammal@Altitude.CAM.ORG

2hnemarrow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.081300.23234@CAM.ORG>, gammal@CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) writes:
> I recently download 3201 pictures from comp.binaries.apple2
> and was wondering what program to view it on the Gs?
>
> The viewer for 3200 pictures doesn't work properly w/3201's.

It seems like I had that problem before as well.  I think if you change the
pictures AUX type to whatever the regular 3200 color pictures are, that fixes
it.