[comp.sys.apple2] Help the new Apple owner, please...

CCSH_16@RCKHRST1.BITNET (04/11/91)

Well, after leaving the Apple world back in high school, I've
inadvertantly returned. Yesterday I was given an Apple II Plus with one
disk drive and a "language card (???)". Thats it. No disks, no manuals,
no nuttin! Anyone know where I can get DOS disks or manuals on anything?
And what is this Language card for? Memory expansion, it looks like, but
anything else? What I really want to get this going for is a Appleworks
for my wife (she's a math teacher, and Apples are what they use in most
of the schools) and some of the oldie but goodie games for me. Could
someone please tell me where I could possibly find these:
Starblazer
Gobbler
Wizadry
Theres also a game that I can't remember the name of. I think it starts with
a 'B' or a 'C', but am not for sure. You control a gun turret at the bottom
center of the screen. Your turret can rotate 180 degrees, from straight left
to straight right. Planes fly by overhead, dropping either paratroopers or
(If I remember right) bombs. If enough paratroopers make it safely to the
ground, they "pile up" and blow you up.
If anyone can help me out, please let me know. These are pretty old programs,
so if you have them and don't use em anymore, would you be interested in selling
them at a reasonable price? Thanx for any help. It feels kinda good to be back
working on the original computer I started out on.
BRENT D.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/11/91)

CCSH_16@RCKHRST1.BITNET writes:

>And what is this Language card for? Memory expansion, it looks like, but
>anything else?

Nope. 16K of memory (ooh ahh).

You'll need an AppleWorks patcher to get that to run on the ][+. I think you
can buy them from the back of Incider.

>Theres also a game that I can't remember the name of. I think it starts with
>a 'B' or a 'C', but am not for sure. You control a gun turret at the bottom
>center of the screen. Your turret can rotate 180 degrees, from straight left
>to straight right. Planes fly by overhead, dropping either paratroopers or
>(If I remember right) bombs. If enough paratroopers make it safely to the
>ground, they "pile up" and blow you up.

This is SABOTAGE!! It was the first Apple game I ever played.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

P.S. Welcome back.

JDB8042@ZEUS.TAMU.EDU (John D. Baker->An Apple ZCPR3 nut//) (04/13/91)

The game Brent D. describes is called "SABOTAGE".  I have a copy of it (al-
though I don't play games much anymore).  It's pretty neat!

John D. Baker ->An Apple ZCPR3 nut//
JDB8042@rigel.tamu.edu
JDB8042@tamuts.tamu.edu

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (04/15/91)

>>And what is this Language card for? Memory expansion, it looks like, but
>>anything else?

>Nope. 16K of memory (ooh ahh).

Remember too that it allowed the use of Integer Basic; thus the name "language
card" (I still have a manual, tho' not the computer).
\  Internet: scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com   /\    I.D.F.:    /\ 'tis  but /
/  AKA:   Monte                              \/  no retreat   \/ a scratch \
\  Applesauce BBS: (212) 721-4122            /\  no surrender /\ -- M.P.   /
\   Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,         /
/                                                   -- Edgar Allan Poe     \