[comp.sys.apple2] processing speed vs. elegant software

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (04/10/91)

It looks like I'm not the only one who wants to know what ever happened to
elegant hacks that pushed the machine to its limits without costing the
user anything in performance and ease of use.

Many people complain about how slow the IIgs is.  Sure, I'd like faster
processing, but the problem wouldn't be as bad as it is if there were more
hackers out there willing to put forth the time to write that elegant code
to run quickly.  (Remember how slow the Finder was before GS/OS 5.0? I
didn't think we'd EVER see a Finder as fast as the current...)

| C. Matthew Curtin             ! Maybe the people with the most answers      |

| P.O. Box 27081                ! have solved the most problems.              |

| Columbus, OH 43227-0081       !---------------------------------------------|

| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp        !              Apple II Forever!              |

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/12/91)

In article <eLT7Z3w164w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:

>to run quickly.  (Remember how slow the Finder was before GS/OS 5.0? I
>didn't think we'd EVER see a Finder as fast as the current...)

Personally, I hate Finder v1.3 that comes with the System 5.0.x systems.

<heh.. hehehehe>

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

twb5024@zeus.tamu.edu (Tye W. Botting, aka Warlock) (04/12/91)

In article <51439@apple.Apple.COM>, shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes...
%
%Personally, I hate Finder v1.3 that comes with the System 5.0.x systems.
%
%<heh.. hehehehe>
%
%andy
%--
%Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
%Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615
%Apple Computer, Inc.			      InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

	Oooooo, you're evil.  You know we'll take that to mean that the
newer System software for the GS will be much better, and that we'll
ask you no end of questions about it.  Just stir us up a bit, why don't
you...   heheheh.  Well, it definately would be great to have a much
better desktop, but we'll just have to wait and see, eh.

TWB5024@venus.tamu.edu          Warlock                 BOTTING@tamcomp
twb5024@tamsumma              Tye Botting

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (The Loch Ness Dog) (04/13/91)

In article <51439@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:
>In article <eLT7Z3w164w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:
>>to run quickly.  (Remember how slow the Finder was before GS/OS 5.0? I
>>didn't think we'd EVER see a Finder as fast as the current...)
>Personally, I hate Finder v1.3 that comes with the System 5.0.x systems.

Oooooooo!  Oooo!  Oooo!  Does this mean Andy is working on finder 2.0?
Could it be?  Could it be?

><heh.. hehehehe>

Oooo!  Oooo!  Oooo!  Looks like it >IS<  Is it going to be KEEN?  Will we
see it this year?  I can hardly wait!

p.s. where are those Zmodem drivers?  Huh?

>andy

-Kreme

>Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
>Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615
            ^^ FINDER ^^^^^
>Apple Computer, Inc.			      InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |The Coven BBS (303) 777 2911 PCP via CODEN Stalr*nk too|
|---------------------|100 Megs of storage.  Areas for IBM/MAC/Apple. Games.  |

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (04/13/91)

In article <51439@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:
>In article <eLT7Z3w164w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:
>
>Personally, I hate Finder v1.3 that comes with the System 5.0.x systems.
>
><heh.. hehehehe>

Andy, quit teasing us will you? Especially since you know you can't tell
us about any of your work on the GS finder. One more outburst like this
and We'll all be at your doorstep demanding to see a beta copy of finder
1.4 or whatever it is at this point.

They told us about System 7 years ago... why is the new GS finder such a
secret?? (unless... nah!)

>andy
>
>--
>Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
>Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615
>Apple Computer, Inc.			      InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
|Vernon L. Williams         | Electronic Mail:    vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu  |
|Thomas J. Watson Library   | Campus Mail:        130 Uris Hall               |
|Columbia University        | Phone Mail:         212-854-6798                |

lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) (04/13/91)

>>to run quickly.  (Remember how slow the Finder was before GS/OS 5.0? I
>>didn't think we'd EVER see a Finder as fast as the current...)
>
>Personally, I hate Finder v1.3 that comes with the System 5.0.x systems.
>
><heh.. hehehehe>
>
>andy

Ok Andy, care to get permission to tell us what you've got lined up and
when we'll be able to use it?  I hate the current finder too, so I use
ProSel.  Think your finder will change my mind?
                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-nbs!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-nbs!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`     BITNET:  lhaider%pro-nbs.cts.com@nosc.mil
      /  >>  \\\`__/_
     /,)-^>>\` , \\\   The opinions express here are just opinions.
     (/   \\ /\\\      Don't have a cow man!
         // _//\\\\   -----------------------------------------------
       ((` ((

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr13.152719.5593@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) writes:

>>Personally, I hate Finder v1.3 that comes with the System 5.0.x systems.
>>
>><heh.. hehehehe>

>Andy, quit teasing us will you? Especially since you know you can't tell
>us about any of your work on the GS finder.

I have no problem saying that I like my Finder a lot better than the "thing"
you guys are using as a finder.  I think mine is a lot better, and I'm
willing to say so.  People like to whine a lot about Apple not talking
about what's going on with the Apple II -- well, here you have an employee
saying that he's trying really, really hard to make the GS System Software
(in particular, the Finder) better, and I get told to stop teasing.  Aw, folks
don't want to be told that there's neat stuff coming.  Awwww...

Well, tough.

>One more outburst like this
>and We'll all be at your doorstep demanding to see a beta copy of finder
>1.4 or whatever it is at this point.

Good luck.  I don't keep anything we're working on at my apartment.  You'd
have to get past the security at my site, and then you'd have to find me.

>They told us about System 7 years ago... why is the new GS finder such a
>secret??

It's not.  People in our group have been very forthright with the fact that
I was hired to work on the Finder and that I wasn't hired just to do
bug-fixes (although there are plenty of those, too).  The new GS finder
(mine) is just quite a bit (understatement) more spiffy than Finder v1.3 --
anything beyond this I'm not willing to speculate about.

And, incidently, I doubt that you will see anything like Macintosh System 7.0
announced THAT far in advance of its ship date from Apple Computer ever again.
We might announce "strategic directions" from time to time, but that's
something different.

andy

--

.
.>>Personally, I hate Finder v1.3 that comes with the System 5.0.x systems.
.>Andy, quit teasing us will you? Especially since you know you can't tell
.>us about any of your work on the GS finder.

.I have no problem saying that I like my Finder a lot better than the "thing"
.you guys are using as a finder.  I think mine is a lot better, and I'm
.willing to say so.  People like to whine a lot about Apple not talking
.about what's going on with the Apple II -- well, here you have an employee
.saying that he's trying really, really hard to make the GS System Software
.(in particular, the Finder) better, and I get told to stop teasing.  Aw, folks
.don't want to be told that there's neat stuff coming.  Awwww...

	Even though you can say you're working on the Finder, I'm surprised
you can evey say "there's neat stuff coming."
	While the fact that you are working on the Finder implies that there
will be new stuff coming, it's surprising that you can even say that...
I guess I have misconceptions about the "nondiscloseure" policy.  (why hire
someone to do work then never release it?? Unless it's another one of the
zillions of projects Apple does and never releases.. Like the Apple II NETWORK
SERVER card!! It originally worked BETTER than a Mac server!)

.Good luck.  I don't keep anything we're working on at my apartment.  You'd
.have to get past the security at my site, and then you'd have to find me.

	So your site actually HAS security and not the Gorilla blow up that
Dave was talking about?? heh heh.

.>They told us about System 7 years ago... why is the new GS finder such a
.>secret??
.It's not.  People in our group have been very forthright with the fact that
.I was hired to work on the Finder and that I wasn't hired just to do
.bug-fixes (although there are plenty of those, too).  The new GS finder
.(mine) is just quite a bit (understatement) more spiffy than Finder v1.3 --
.anything beyond this I'm not willing to speculate about.

	I'm surprised you can even say that much. You seem to be sort of
giving details (that it's not just bug fixes)..

.And, incidently, I doubt that you will see anything like Macintosh System 7.0
.announced THAT far in advance of its ship date from Apple Computer ever again.

	I agree with that too. You can probably say it's a rationalization
from someone who WISHES that new products were announced for the II line as
far in advance (or AT ALL) as they do for the Mac, but it sure seems to have been a debacle since they had to keep pushing back the release date.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /

In article <14462@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	Even though you can say you're working on the Finder, I'm surprised
>you can evey say "there's neat stuff coming."

Well, there is, so don't be so shocked.  :-)

>	While the fact that you are working on the Finder implies that there
>will be new stuff coming, it's surprising that you can even say that...
>I guess I have misconceptions about the "nondiscloseure" policy.

My group isn't like the CIA or something where we can't even say that we work
for "the company." :-)

>	So your site actually HAS security and not the Gorilla blow up that
>Dave was talking about?? heh heh.

Get it right, it's a godzilla blow up monster, not a gorilla.

>	I'm surprised you can even say that much. You seem to be sort of
>giving details (that it's not just bug fixes)..

Details?  I gave details?  I think not.  Giving details would be like
telling people what's new or what's improved or what doesn't work yet, and
that's stuff which I ain't gonna talk about (and even then mainly because if
I had squealed about what the Finder was going to look like just a month ago,
I would have been dead wrong).

andy

--

In article <1459.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:

>Ok Andy, care to get permission to tell us what you've got lined up and
>when we'll be able to use it?  I hate the current finder too, so I use
>ProSel.  Think your finder will change my mind?

I don't know.  I can't predict how people will react.  We did what we thought
was the best thing to do as far as the Finder goes, and it's possible that some
people will still slam it.  Some people are expecting miracles and aren't going
to get them -- others are expecting nothing at all, and they'll be surprised.

As far as changing your mind goes, it might and then again it might not.
Some people -hate- the desktop user interface, and since that's what the
Finder uses... well, they can use something else I 'suppose.

And Laer, although I'm trying to make something that everyone would just go
out and buy a GS to use it, not everyone's gonna like it -- or use it. That's
just the way things are.

andy

--

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (04/14/91)

|>to run quickly.  (Remember how slow the Finder was before GS/OS 5.0? I
|>didn't think we'd EVER see a Finder as fast as the current...)
|
|Personally, I hate Finder v1.3 that comes with the System 5.0.x systems.
|
|<heh.. hehehehe>
|
|andy

Well, what are >YOU< going to do about it... :)

whitewolf@gnh-starport!info-apple

2hnemarrow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/14/91)

In article <51499@apple.Apple.COM>, shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:

> I don't know.  I can't predict how people will react.  We did what we thought
> was the best thing to do as far as the Finder goes, and it's possible that some
> people will still slam it.  Some people are expecting miracles and aren't going
> to get them -- others are expecting nothing at all, and they'll be surprised.

I must be one of the lucky ones.  I don't expect anything, and I like suprises
:)

In article <m0jRxKq-000030C@jartel.info.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:

>Well, what are >YOU< going to do about it... :)

More than you.  <evil, wicked grin>

andy

--

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (04/14/91)

[Does anyone know who wrote what?? :-)]

>>>Personally, I hate Finder v1.3 that comes with the System 5.0.x systems.
>>>
>>><heh.. hehehehe>
>
>>Andy, quit teasing us will you? Especially since you know you can't tell
>>us about any of your work on the GS finder.
>
>I have no problem saying that I like my Finder a lot better than the "thing"
>you guys are using as a finder.  I think mine is a lot better, and I'm
>willing to say so.  People like to whine a lot about Apple not talking
>about what's going on with the Apple II -- well, here you have an employee
>saying that he's trying really, really hard to make the GS System Software
>(in particular, the Finder) better, and I get told to stop teasing.  Aw, folks
>don't want to be told that there's neat stuff coming.  Awwww...
>
>Well, tough.

Your modesty becomes you Andy :-)

First of all I was kidding. Secondly, you are coming across as a bit of a
tease. Many GS owners have been hungering for major improvemnts of the type
you've been hinting at in your messages, so we appreciate your work and even
your allusions to the new finder. On the other hand, too much teasing is a bad
thing. Sort of like waving a steak (with A1 sauce) in front of the face of
a starving man.

[Stuff deleted]

>And, incidently, I doubt that you will see anything like Macintosh System 7.0
>announced THAT far in advance of its ship date from Apple Computer ever again.
>We might announce "strategic directions" from time to time, but that's
>something different.

I can imagine. System 7 gives new meaning to the term 'vaporware'. I'm looking
forward to hearing some 'strategic directions from Apple (what to do with the
II) I'm sure that with you, Dave, Matt and others on the job we'll be seeing
some nice stuff soon.

>andy

[Andy's .SIG deleted]

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (04/14/91)

In article <14462@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	Even though you can say you're working on the Finder, I'm surprised
>you can evey say "there's neat stuff coming."

Actually, I am a little suprised that this much info about the Finder was
disclosed also.  But, if you think about it, Apple should encourage this kind
of teasing.  It will let people know that there are things under development for
the GS so people will be less inclined to go out and by an IBM or whatever.

By the way, I don't mind the teasing, it gives us something to talk about now
doesn't it?

Platkus
platkus@ecn.purdue.edu

meekins@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) (04/15/91)

In article <51499@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:
>In article <1459.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> lhaider@pro-nbs.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
>
>>Ok Andy, care to get permission to tell us what you've got lined up and
>>when we'll be able to use it?  I hate the current finder too, so I use
>>ProSel.  Think your finder will change my mind?
>
>I don't know.  I can't predict how people will react.  We did what we thought
>was the best thing to do as far as the Finder goes, and it's possible that some
>people will still slam it.  Some people are expecting miracles and aren't going
>to get them -- others are expecting nothing at all, and they'll be surprised.
>
>As far as changing your mind goes, it might and then again it might not.
>Some people -hate- the desktop user interface, and since that's what the
>Finder uses... well, they can use something else I 'suppose.

And if you do hate the desktop interface, get a copy of ZLaunch. ZLaunch
is launcher I've been writing since last fall and sports its own custom
interface. The interface is designed to be as seamless as possible and
can be customized for maximum efficiency. Also, ZLaunch is designed to use
as little memory possible and is ideal for those people with low memory
machines.

Like Andy, I can also say that neat knew things are coming soon! But, since
I'm my own boss, there's no one to fire me if I should leak something. :)

--
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|