[comp.sys.apple2] Coca-Cola Demo

u9050728@cs.uow.edu.au (Shane Kelvin Richards) (04/10/91)

	I have heard that there is a demo called "Coca-Cola" Demo for the
GS. I have also heard that it is quite good. Can someone upload it to
comp.apple.binaries (or whatever the name of the binaries group is exactly).
	Also, what has happened to FTA? Are they still around? If so, what
is there latest demo? I think they should work on a game personally, a fully
featured game by FTA would be pretty exciting if done properly. Does anyone
know if they are thinking of writing any games?
	What has happened to the FTA Book, is there somewhere/someone I can
purchase it off? How much is it? What language is it in?

	What is everyones favourite demos on their GS? Mine would be
Modulae, and Nucleus. What other groups have done outstanding demos?

Shane Richards

plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (04/12/91)

It is not a demo, but a disk full of utilities.  Included are Block Warden,
SpeedySmith (don't use it if you don't like things to write to your BRAM),
a bunch of other block editors, etc.  It is chock full of stuff.

PLine:  plucky.duck@pro-midnightex / tg.exc@pro-harvest| The Toxic Revenger! |
INET:   plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com             |---------------------|
UUCP:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck               |  If you have an HP  |
ARPA:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck@nosc.mil      |  DeskJet for sale,  |
BITNET: plucky.duck%pro-midnightex.cts.com@nosc.mil    |  please e-mail me.  |

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (04/13/91)

In article <8539@crash.cts.com> plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:

>It is not a demo, but a disk full of utilities.  Included are Block Warden,
>SpeedySmith (don't use it if you don't like things to write to your BRAM),
>a bunch of other block editors, etc.  It is chock full of stuff.

This gives me an idea.  Is There a way to write a desk accessory or an init
that could detect if something was writing to battery ram?  Maybe intercept it,
and ask the user if they want to abort or proceed?  I don't know too much about
how the battery ram operates as for as programming goes.

Thanks

Platkus
.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/13/91)

On Fri, 12 Apr 91 19:18:54 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:

>This gives me an idea.  Is There a way to write a desk accessory or an init
>that could detect if something was writing to battery ram?  Maybe intercept it,
>and ask the user if they want to abort or proceed?  I don't know too much about
>how the battery ram operates as for as programming goes.
>
>Thanks
>
>Platkus
>.

There are two ways of writing to the Battery RAM:

1. writing DIRECTLY to it.
   - This would be virtually impossible to detect, unless your PIF is
     examining EVERY instruction the program does.  Of course, this is
     completely impractical and would slow things down several times.
2. Change the BRAM with the TOOLS.  This would be possible to catch.  This
   is similar to the way SAM virus interceptor works on the Mac.

So, if an application is doing number one, it's impossible to prevent.  If
it's doing number 2, then there shouldn't be much problem.

If someone is going to write this, how 'bout going a little further and
intercept drive write operations?  SAM GS?

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

In article <8539@crash.cts.com> plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:
>It is not a demo, but a disk full of utilities.  Included are Block Warden,
>SpeedySmith (don't use it if you don't like things to write to your BRAM),
>a bunch of other block editors, etc.  It is chock full of stuff.

	Is this shareware or freeware or something? If so could someone
put it up on comp.binaries.apple2?

	Isn't SpeedySmith the copier that's as fast or faster than Photonix?
Seems I remember reading that it had some neat interface?

	Is Photonix II shareware or completely commercial? If it's shareware,
it'd be nice to see that on c.b.a2 too.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (04/14/91)

	Shane Richards writes in an earlier article:

>        Also, what has happened to FTA? Are they still around? If so, what
> is there latest demo? I think they should work on a game personally, a fully
> featured game by FTA would be pretty exciting if done properly. Does anyone
> know if they are thinking of writing any games?
>        What has happened to the FTA Book, is there somewhere/someone I can
> purchase it off? How much is it? What language is it in?
>
>        What is everyones favourite demos on their GS? Mine would be
> Modulae, and Nucleus. What other groups have done outstanding demos?

	Ok, I've been meaning to write about this for a bit, but here's the
latest. Supposidly the FTA is working on another demo, thats all I know so
don't ask me for more. Also, about the programming book. They currently
are selling it in France from a publisher. {Its like 500 pages and all in
French :(} They are interested in selling it here in the states, only they
need a publisher. So if there are any publishers that would like to
volunteer, please come forward!!!

	As far as GS demos go, Modulae was impressive, but I love the music
from most of their demos the most...

							- Hal

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (04/15/91)

In article <14418@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <8539@crash.cts.com> plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:
>>It is not a demo, but a disk full of utilities.  Included are Block Warden,
>>SpeedySmith (don't use it if you don't like things to write to your BRAM),
>>a bunch of other block editors, etc.  It is chock full of stuff.
>	Isn't SpeedySmith the copier that's as fast or faster than Photonix?
>Seems I remember reading that it had some neat interface?

I haven't done any speed tests, but SpeedySmith is pretty fast. The
interface looks normal though (text screen, press some keys to toggle
the options and stuff).

>	Is Photonix II shareware or completely commercial? If it's shareware,
>it'd be nice to see that on c.b.a2 too.

As far as I know, Photonix II is commercial. I saw it listed in one of
LRO Computer's ads.

Isn't Block Warden part of Prosel??

>--
>/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
>\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six