[comp.sys.apple2] Finder v1.3 @ System 5.0.x

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (04/15/91)

>Personally, I hate Finder v.13 that comes with System 5.0.x systems.

What's wrong with it?  Just because you didn't write it, and you are
writting it's replacement, doesn't mean you have to hate it...

I don't like it, because it's too slow at copying files, and the double
click needs work.  I click ONCE, and it executes. (5.0.4)
I wish it had a RENAME option (hint, hint) instead of clicking the name.  I
find highlighting, then useing a pull down menu, easier.

By the way:  Why does SYSTEM 5.0 have FINDER v1.3?

---
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion                  | Please Support Apple IIgs.
Internet: aford@pro-mansion                  |
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford            |    Apple IIgs Forever
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil   |
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil |

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (04/15/91)

In article <8584@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:
>>Personally, I [Andy Nicholas] hate Finder v.13 that comes with System
>>5.0.x systems.
>
>What's wrong with it?  Just because you didn't write it, and you are
>writting it's replacement, doesn't mean you have to hate it...

Not because he didn't write it.  Features and Performance.

>I don't like it, because it's too slow at copying files, and the double
>click needs work.  I click ONCE, and it executes. (5.0.4)

On rare occasions, I have seen that happen.  I dismissed it as a hardware
problem with the mouse button (dirty contacts bouncing, creating unintended
multiple clicks).

Could that explain your problems, or does do you *only* get extra clicks in
the Finder?

>By the way:  Why does SYSTEM 5.0 have FINDER v1.3?

Why not?  Actually, it shouldn't be a problem to make the Finder version
approximately match the system software version, but there are *dozens* of
version numbers in the system, and some of them are limited by data
structures to X.Y and would quickly *surpass* the system software number
if we tried to make them equal.  The disk number would increment by 0.0.1,
but the minimum increment for some of the pieces that changed would be 0.1!

Tool sets are a good example--versions can only go as high as 15.15 (and
to keep things non-confusing I would rather keep them to 9.9).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (04/15/91)

In article <8584@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:
>>Personally, I hate Finder v.13 that comes with System 5.0.x systems.
>
>What's wrong with it?  Just because you didn't write it, and you are
>writting it's replacement, doesn't mean you have to hate it...

Well, I didn't write Finder 1.3, and I'm not writing the replacement
either, and I hate it too...

>I don't like it, because it's too slow at copying files, and the double
>click needs work.  I click ONCE, and it executes. (5.0.4)

Hmm... that's the _only_ reason I use the Finder, I find that it's
file copying is much faster than other programs (since it uses the
write-deferral thingy). BTW, I'm talking about file copies, not whole
disk copies.

About the double click thingy, maybe you have the time in the control
panel set too long. I've got my double-click time set as fast as it
can go... I guess some people just aren't good at double-clicking :)

>I wish it had a RENAME option (hint, hint) instead of clicking the name.  I
>find highlighting, then useing a pull down menu, easier.

A rename option would be nice, but I find clicking the name faster.
Why click then drag a menu to rename when you can click, type, then
press return?

>By the way:  Why does SYSTEM 5.0 have FINDER v1.3?

Why not? System 5.0-GS/OS 3.0 was a big improvement over System
4.0-GS/OS 2.0, while Finder 1.3 wasn't that big of a difference over
1.2. The only thing I really noticed was that Finder 1.3 handles
extended files, while 1.2 doesn't. I'm sure there were a couple of bug
fixes tho'

Also, I want to thank all the people at Apple who are hard at work
with the Apple II line. Thanks guys!

>ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion                  | Please Support Apple IIgs.
>Internet: aford@pro-mansion                  |
>UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford            |    Apple IIgs Forever
>ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil   |
>BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil |
--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/15/91)

In article <8584@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:

>By the way:  Why does SYSTEM 5.0 have FINDER v1.3?

Well, considering that they only had hired me for a month when they released
System 5.0.4 (yeah, yeah, it might not have been available immediately, but
it was Golden Master internally so we couldn't touch it), and also considering
that we haven't released a System Disk since then... well, that gives you
a pretty good indication of why we ship Finder v1.3 on the System 5.0.x system
disks, huh? :-)

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/15/91)

In article <8584@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:

>By the way:  Why does SYSTEM 5.0 have FINDER v1.3?

BTW, were you trying to be subtle and say why wasn't Finder v1.3 called
something like ``Finder 5.0''??  I don't know.  That's just the way things
were done.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615
Apple Computer, Inc.			      InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

In article <8584@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:
>>[The ShrinkIT dude, now living in the fine city of Sunnyvale, CA, said this]
>>Personally, I hate Finder v.13 that comes with System 5.0.x systems.
>I don't like it, because it's too slow at copying files, and the double
>click needs work.  I click ONCE, and it executes. (5.0.4)

	Too slow at copying files? Please tell me, IF IT EXISTS, of a program
that is faster at copying files than the Finder. FILES that is, and not whole
disks.
	I bet you can't do it!  While your complaint about it being too slow at
copying files does not necessarily imply that there currently exists something
that's faster, you seem to think there's something faster.

	Please name it. I would be amazed to find something faster than the
Finder. That is my main praise of the Finder. It is as fast as hell at copying
files.  When I get the GS/OS manual, I'm going to write a file-copying NDA
and I hope it is close to the Finder's speed! (My NDA will have a few things I
have not seen in any other file NDAs, and will have a few ideas borrowed
from other programs, including the Finder)

>I wish it had a RENAME option (hint, hint) instead of clicking the name.  I
>find highlighting, then useing a pull down menu, easier.
>
>By the way:  Why does SYSTEM 5.0 have FINDER v1.3?

	You think the numbers should go in tandem?  Even if you start to do
that, they will eventually get "out of whack," as there will be times when one
part is revised and renumbered and another part isn't revised, and thus not
renumbered. [Darn Sun Sparcstations! I hadda go back and make the window 80
columns and reformat everything so it doesn't come out funky on other people's
screens.. They're actually cool. I'm WAITING FOR TELNET GS so that this one lab
on campus can network their GSes and use 'em as terminals]
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /