[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II Zmodem

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (04/09/91)

This was posted a while back, but I never saw any answers ...

Does anyone know of an Apple II version of Zmodem other than that which comes
with ProTerm ?

If there isn't one, how hard would it be to write one ?

Anyone know Zmodem's specs ?

Just tossing ideas into the wind ...

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr8.161914.8790@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:

>Does anyone know of an Apple II version of Zmodem other than that which comes
>with ProTerm ?

Yeah, there's a program called Modem MGR which has Zmodem.  The program looks
kinda clunky, but it's supposed to work fairly well (crc-32 also).

>If there isn't one, how hard would it be to write one ?

It depends on how good a programmer you are.  It wouldn't be an easy thing for
a novice as you'd have to do it in assembly... but this is probably re-stating
something implied.

>Anyone know Zmodem's specs?

Oo Oo Oo, I do!  I do!  Whaddya want to know about it?

>- Jonathan

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (04/12/91)

In article <51373@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:
>In article <1991Apr8.161914.8790@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:

>>Does anyone know of an Apple II version of Zmodem other than that which comes
>>with ProTerm ?
>
>Yeah, there's a program called Modem MGR which has Zmodem.  The program looks
>kinda clunky, but it's supposed to work fairly well (crc-32 also).

Hmm.. I bought Modem MGR a few years ago, and it doesn't have Zmodem
(no Ymodem either). It's got Xmodem, AE Xmodem, Binary II Xmodem and
it's own MMGR protocol.

BTW, I've got version 1.5, dated June '87...

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (04/15/91)

In article <47060@ut-emx.uucp>, daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
> In article <51373@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr8.161914.8790@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>
>>>Does anyone know of an Apple II version of Zmodem other than that which comes
>>>with ProTerm ?
>>
>>Yeah, there's a program called Modem MGR which has Zmodem.  The program looks
>>kinda clunky, but it's supposed to work fairly well (crc-32 also).
>
> Hmm.. I bought Modem MGR a few years ago, and it doesn't have Zmodem
> (no Ymodem either). It's got Xmodem, AE Xmodem, Binary II Xmodem and
> it's own MMGR protocol.
>
> BTW, I've got version 1.5, dated June '87...
>
> --
> David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
> Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six
> UUCP: ..!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!daveh |       hours, or else your
> America Online: DrWho29                  |       pizza is cold."

Assuming this program isn't shareware, where does one find it ?

ie : Who is the publisher, are they still around, how much is it ?

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr14.164407.8964@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:

[ more on zmodem for the AppleII()]

Agate069 has a proper implementation of zmodem(including the resumption
capability) and ymodem. The user interface leaves much to be desired
but it not that bad.

Philip McDunnough
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
[usual stuff...]

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (04/16/91)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>In article <1991Apr14.164407.8964@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:

>[ more on zmodem for the AppleII()]

>Agate069 has a proper implementation of zmodem(including the resumption
>capability) and ymodem. The user interface leaves much to be desired
>but it not that bad.

>Philip McDunnough
>philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
>[usual stuff...]

Where can one find Agate 069? My version of Agate has the downloading feature
disabled.