[comp.sys.apple2] Prosel

BEASON@GENESEO.BITNET (Bob Beason) (03/08/91)

The documentation for prosel is on the disk.  There is (or was on my version)
an option to print the documentaion, it is rather long.  I haven't tried to
backup a hard disk, so I can't help you with that question, sorry.  Usually
you only need to defragment a HD when it slows down loading files.  There
are some programs in the Mac world that seem to defragment hourly, but that
is excessive.
bob beason
beason@geneseo.bitnet

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/08/91)

More problems w/ Prosel (and some good news).

I found the documentation and printed it out (and went through a ribbon,
doing it :).

My problem before was that it said I didn't have enough memory to backup,
after reading the docs, I got around that.  So I backed up.  It said there
would be 41 disks for backup.  I started the backup and it stopped with an
error on disk number 37 after about an hour and a half.  It also screwed up
on the numbering of the disks.  Disk number 33 was named /NEWDISK and the
next disk, which should have been 34, was named 33.

I tried the optimization and it wouldn't work because it kept getting errors.
So I did a directory repair (several times) and all seemed fine after it
fixed several errors.  I ran the optimizer again, and it stopped about 1/3
of the way through.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know how to get around it?

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

tlhayes@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Zatar) (04/10/91)

Hello!  I just recently aquired Prosel for my Apple IIgs, and I have been
having problems installing it on my hard drive (Vulcan 40).  I am trying to get
it to run under system 4.0 on one partition (since a lot of things don't work
under v5), but no matter how I arrange it, whenever I try to run a prodos 8
application, it says "prodos version incompatible" or something like that, and
reboots.  If I run ProSel from the finder, it works fine.  None of the other
people I have talked to here have been able to help.  Is this something to do
with the system disk, or what?  Thanks,
						Zatar

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/11/91)

On Tue, 9 Apr 91 20:51:10 GMT Zatar said:
>Hello!  I just recently aquired Prosel for my Apple IIgs, and I have been
>having problems installing it on my hard drive (Vulcan 40).  I am trying to get
>it to run under system 4.0 on one partition (since a lot of things don't work
>under v5), but no matter how I arrange it, whenever I try to run a prodos 8
>application, it says "prodos version incompatible" or something like that, and
>reboots.  If I run ProSel from the finder, it works fine.  None of the other
>people I have talked to here have been able to help.  Is this something to do
>with the system disk, or what?  Thanks,
>						Zatar

Is this Prosel 8 or Prosel 16?
When you're installing Prosel, you're probably copying the version of
ProDOS that's on the Prosel disk onto your HD.  Don't do that.  The version
of Prodos on your Prosel disk is not compatible with GS/OS 4.0.  You must
re-install the old version of Prodos (from your original GS/OS 4.0 disk)
and everything -should- work.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

tlhayes@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Zatar) (04/11/91)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>Is this Prosel 8 or Prosel 16?

16.  Would it help if I tried 8?  But then I couldn't run p16 files, yes?

>When you're installing Prosel, you're probably copying the version of
>ProDOS that's on the Prosel disk onto your HD.  Don't do that.  The version
>of Prodos on your Prosel disk is not compatible with GS/OS 4.0.  You must
>re-install the old version of Prodos (from your original GS/OS 4.0 disk)
>and everything -should- work.

Yes, I've tried this, and I still have the problem.  If I change back to the
finder, everything works fine.  I guess it just doesn't work with sys v4...

jajc@boink.ee.mu.OZ.AU ( James CLOUGH) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr10.215322.19554@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> tlhayes@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Zatar) writes:
>MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>>Is this Prosel 8 or Prosel 16?

>16.  Would it help if I tried 8?  But then I couldn't run p16 files, yes?

ProSel-8 will quite happily launch S16 programs as long as it was itself
launched from GS/OS.  There is a program "Start" provided for you to put
in */System so your system can boot straight into ProSel-8 under GS/OS.

>					tlhayes@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

>>  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
>>  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

			James A.J. Clough
			Science / Engineering at The University of Melbourne

			 jajc@ecr.mu.oz.au, jajc@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
			 + 61-3-592-3450

			Beagle Buddy and ProSel-16 Resource Associate