[comp.sys.apple2] My Finder is hanging

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (04/16/91)

I came across an interesting bug last night.  I dug up King's Quest II
(original disk), and stuck it in my floppy.  The Finder queried the floppy, and
immediately hung.  The disk is fine since I can play the game perfectly if I
copy the contents of the floppy to my hard disk (and presumably if I boot from
the floppy).

Can anybody explain this bug?
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.172733.19677@src.honeywell.com> shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) writes:

>I came across an interesting bug last night.  I dug up King's Quest II
>(original disk), and stuck it in my floppy.  The Finder queried the floppy, and
>immediately hung.  The disk is fine since I can play the game perfectly if I
>copy the contents of the floppy to my hard disk (and presumably if I boot from
>the floppy).

I suspect your floppy has a damaged Finder.Root file or damaged files in the
Icons folder--both of these get loaded when you insert a disk in the Finder.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.