[comp.sys.apple2] SJ Mercury-News on Apple

tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) (04/17/91)

The Monday, April 15, San Jose Mercury News had a run-down of the top 100
companies in the Silicon Valley. Apple placed #2 (behind Hewlett-Packard).
The Merc had some interesting comments about Apple. The first paragraph
is a summary of their opening comments, but the last ones are direct quotes.

     - - - - -

   Apple Macintosh users have been members of a relatively exclusive club
because the machines were so expensive. After the $1,000 Classic and $2,000
LC, demand exploded.

   Apple, which last fiscal year garnered sales of nearly $5.6 billion, is
projected to approach $7 billion this year. Besides the low-priced computers
and pending introduction of lighter portables, analysts say Apple's growth
will be sparked by an all-out assault on the home market. Some say they
believe Apple will sell a Nintendo-like video game player in the likes of
Toys R Us, which would allow the company to sell a computer that uses the
television for its monitor, pushing the price down to roughly $500.

   All of this is is said to be part of an internal Apple campaign--dubbed
Macintosh 30--to triple the market share of Apple computers.

   Another strategic move will embrace streamlined reduced instruction-set
computing, or RISC, microprocessors to boost performance at the high end of
the product line, and Apple is even considering the risky step of developing
Macintosh software to run on IBM-compatible coomputers. The latter idea may
be discarded, but analysts nonetheless say they expect steady gains in
Apple market share.

    - - - - -

Considering what the Merc had to say about H-P, their comments seem to be
generally close to the mark but with some details garbled.

-- Dave Tribby

In article <54240029@hpindwa.cup.hp.com> tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) writes:
>The Monday, April 15, San Jose Mercury News had a run-down of the top 100
>companies in the Silicon Valley. Apple placed #2 (behind Hewlett-Packard).
>
>   Apple Macintosh users have been members of a relatively exclusive club
>because the machines were so expensive. After the $1,000 Classic and $2,000
>LC, demand exploded.

	Then the next day there was an article saying how Apple's
profits had not skyrocketed because of the cheap Macs like they thought
it would.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /