[comp.sys.apple2] HLL

crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr9.150402.563@latcs2.lat.oz.au> stephens@latcs2.lat.oz.au
(Phi
lip J Stephens) writes:
>>You can't program effectively in a HLL if you don't know the hardware
>>you're working on, it's limitations and it's features.

>I always thought one of the reasons for using a HLL was so you could
>program without having to know the grungy details about the hardware.

It isn't nessary, but understanding the underlying hardware allows a
programmer
to know just what will execute efficiently, makes porting software MUCH
easier,
and lets you know when a quick and dirty assembly routine is the way to go
(I
use 95%+ ORCA/C, but use 65816 for ALL character level I/O to avoid the
toolsets).

----
ProLine:  crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex
Internet: crew.wicklein@pro-midnightex.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-midnightex!crew.wicklein
ARPA:     crash!pro-midnightex!crew.wicklein@nosc.mil