[comp.sys.apple2] Help with my 5.25 drive

jordan@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Steve J. Jordan) (04/04/91)

Need advice:

I have a non-apple brand 5.25 floppy connected to the Smartport on my GS
(along with my Apple 3.5.)  The 5.25 drive has worked fine for about 2 years,
and usually it still does.  The last month or two I've sporadically had
various 5.25 floppy disks stop working for no apparent reason (won't boot,
I/O errors, etc.)  My guess is that the 5.25 drive is occasionally trashing
my disks.  I figured my CPU board must be ok since my 3.5 drive (daisy-chained
to the 5.25) hasn't had any problems.  There isn't anything nearby that could
be giving off large magnetic fields to directly damage my disks, and I can't
think of anything else that might be causing the problem.

So, assuming the 5.25 drive is the problem, what should I do?  Are there
some tests I could run to check it?  I ran a drive speed test available on my
old Locksmith disk.  It looked fine.  Is it worth bringing to a dealer to
check?  Or will that cost as much as buying a new drive?  (I saw one in A+ for
$99.)  I can't seem to get the drive to fail while I'm watching it, so
(with my luck) a dealer couldn't either (& still charge me.)  I'm starting to
wonder if it's trashing disks when I power-up & power-down my system with a
disk in the drive.  Do all 5.25 drives properly handle powerup/down?  (ie. the
write-head should not be skipping around.)

Steve Jordan
jordan@hpfcdj.hp.com

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/06/91)

jordan@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Steve J. Jordan) writes:

>wonder if it's trashing disks when I power-up & power-down my system with a
>disk in the drive.  Do all 5.25 drives properly handle powerup/down?  (ie. the
>write-head should not be skipping around.)

This I can answer right away. If the drive motor isn't spinning, the disk
can't be modified -- IF the drive electronics are working properly. The
light should also only be on when the motor is actually running.

It is possible for the drive electronics to experience an age problem in
which they accidentally kick into write mode about 1/3 of the time they
are stepped to a new track. One of my friends had this problem in a cheap
mail-order drive he got five years ago; we had to replace the MC3470 to
fix it. (We swapped chips between drives to figure that out.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

schiffer@stsci.EDU (Skip Schiffer) (04/18/91)

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

> If the drive motor isn't spinning, the disk
>can't be modified -- IF the drive electronics are working properly.

Although this statement is correct (with the IF clause) it is true that in
the Apple drives the write electronics and the motor electronics are
independent.  It is possible to activate the write without enabling the
motor.  (In fact it is possible to enable the write without addressing the
drive if the electronics fails the "proper" manner.)  I spent more than a
week proving this problem with a defective Apple 5.25" drive approximately
6 years ago.

		Just to keep the record straight.
			Skip

--
| F. H. Schiffer 3rd              |                            |
| schiffer@stsci.edu              | I speak for myself alone.  |