[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II Zmodem Update : Agate069

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (04/18/91)

Apparently, the copy of Agate I looked at earlier was indeed a beta test
version.  I have since acquired the latest release from the Tybalt.Caltech.Edu
ftp site and it's much, much better.

It supports Ymodem and Zmodem (YES ! ZMODEM !) downloads.  No uploads.

It is supposed to support VT-100 emulation but our VAX system here was unable
to recognize it as such.  It must support ANSI but not be re-programmable like
a VT-100.

I've used it to download several files using Zmodem and it works very well
and very fast.  -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED --

Look in the pub/apple2/uploads directory of the Tybalt.Caltech.Edu
ftp site.  It is a .SHK file so make sure you set your file type to BINARY
or the shrinkit archive will be corrupted.

I'm also posting a Binscii'd version to Comp.Binaries.Apple2.

BTW : I'm awaiting info on Modem MGR (it's commercial software) which may
      support Zmodem uploads ...

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/18/91)

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:

>It is supposed to support VT-100 emulation but our VAX system here was unable
>to recognize it as such.  It must support ANSI but not be re-programmable like
>a VT-100.

Not necessarily. DEC came up with their own extensions to ANSI so they could
query VT52's and VT100's on to identify themselves -- VT100's and later could
return listings of capabilities like hardware boldface and such.

I wrote a VT52 emulator for my ][+ that supports the VT52 ID sequence, primarily
so the VAX would recognize it without my having to type anything. I have the
documentation, if you are interested (or the author of Agate is interested)
I could dig them up and type in the sequences. They're fairly simple, it's
just that they're in the terminal's manual and not the ANSI spec.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/19/91)

I was browsing through the Apple II areas on tybalt earlier when I
stumbled across the oft-rumored AGATE 0.69.  I grabbed the file,
downloaded it, and guess what?  It really does do ZMODEM downloads
with file recovery!  (I grabbed a sound file from a local Mac BBS,
just to check the file recovery...still need to unpack it, but the
file length looks right, and I did break the transfer in the middle
just to see if file recovery would work.)  Not only does AGATE do
ZMODEM, but it can also undo .ZIP files, too!  I've never seen an
unZIP program for 8-bit Apple IIs anywhere!

If I remember right, you should look in pub/apple2/uploads on
tybalt.caltech.edu to get the file; if it's not in uploads, try util
instead.  Look for "agate069.bsq."

Support Operation Apple Storm!          / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/