[comp.sys.apple2] RAMFast SCSI Question....

acct069@CARROLL1.CC.EDU (Ron) (04/19/91)

I don't have a RAMFast SCSI card, but I have a question concerning it.

I understand that it does background writes and reads while the computer
is doing something else.  This is great for saving time, but what happens
if I decide that I want to shut the system off.  How does one know if the
RAMFast SCSI is done writing everything to disk?  I would hate to lose
data that it had been saving in it's cache instead of on disk.

--
Ron                      | Lightning Systems, INC. | Apple // Forever!
acct069@carroll1.cc.edu  | (414) 363-4282  60megs  | I feel the need

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/19/91)

In article <9104190046.AA16634@carroll1.cc.edu> acct069@CARROLL1.CC.EDU (Ron) writes:

>I don't have a RAMFast SCSI card, but I have a question concerning it.
>
>I understand that it does background writes and reads while the computer
>is doing something else.  This is great for saving time, but what happens
>if I decide that I want to shut the system off.  How does one know if the
>RAMFast SCSI is done writing everything to disk?  I would hate to lose
>data that it had been saving in it's cache instead of on disk.

   Look at it this way.  Here's a definition for a

Real (tm) Computer- a machine to which power cannot be arbitrarily cut because
  your filesystem will be corrupted.

 It's nice to be in the same league as Unix machines, isn't it?

 Seriously, though, just make sure you do "Shutdown" from the Finder
(or the similar commands in Wings and Prosel)- this function makes
shutdown calls to the drivers which should purge the cache.
 I've never had a problem losing data with the RAMfast- I believe (someone
said) it writes very soon afterward- i.e., your data shouldn't hang around
in the RAMfast more than a few seconds without getting written.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) (04/19/91)

In article <9104190046.AA16634@carroll1.cc.edu> acct069@CARROLL1.CC.EDU (Ron) writes:

>I don't have a RAMFast SCSI card, but I have a question concerning it.
>
>I understand that it does background writes and reads while the computer
>is doing something else.  This is great for saving time, but what happens
>if I decide that I want to shut the system off.  How does one know if the
>RAMFast SCSI is done writing everything to disk?  I would hate to lose
>data that it had been saving in it's cache instead of on disk.

It begins to write the buffer right after returning control to the GS.
So, unless you're in the habit of turning off your GS within a second
of writing valuable data, you won't be in any trouble.

--
+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr19.011125.2651@m.cs.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
> Seriously, though, just make sure you do "Shutdown" from the Finder
>(or the similar commands in Wings and Prosel)- this function makes
>shutdown calls to the drivers which should purge the cache.
> I've never had a problem losing data with the RAMfast- I believe (someone
>said) it writes very soon afterward- i.e., your data shouldn't hang around
>in the RAMfast more than a few seconds without getting written.

OK, what about rebooting (or doing the self-test). Is it required to
do a shutdown before doing that?

BTW, speaking of shutdowns, I wrote a small CDA that did an OSShutdown
call, but it always trashes the Memory Manager checksum thingy so the
RAMDisk gets erased. According to the GS/OS ref, if I set the
appropriate bit to 0, it won't resize the RAMdisk. Does anyone know
what I'm doing wrong?

>--
>Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
>Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight
>bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu          |     alibi.."
>   Apple II Forever!        |  I need a job... Be priviliged to pay me! :-)
--
David Huang                              |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |    "How much is that hamster