[comp.sys.apple2] HLL v ASSEMBLYREAD/NEXT

2hnemarrow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/20/91)

In article <3360@kluge.fiu.edu>, acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:

> Second, Assmbly(-er) Languages are machine-specific, and give surprising
> little understanding about machines in general.  Sure, you'll learn about
> registers and memory, but everything else is different.   Would you advise
> learning 6502 Assembly(-er), with two registers and an accumulator (and
> correspondingly ugly code), a VAX 9000 with an amazing powerful instruction
> set, or a RISC machine with its simple instructions, pipelines and zillions
> of registers?

Actually, that's a very good reason to start with 6502 assembly.  It's a very
basic processor with only a few registers from which you can get a much better
understanding of what is fundamentally going on in your computer's innerds.

(Notice I copied less than 120 lines of quote for my three.)

--
  As any politician will tell you, | 2hnemarrow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu <- til 5/15
  you can fool all the people some | PPark@volta.ece.ukans.edu <- too slow :-P