[comp.sys.apple2] uncompressing Applesoft programs

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (04/19/91)

Is there some easy (ie not manually renumbering) way to seperate all multiple-
statement lines in an Applesoft program?  Beagle Bros' COMPACT (on D CODE)
will compress a program, but I need to go the other way.

Henry
--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

parkern@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Neil Parker) (04/19/91)

In article <9104190630.AA03824@apple.com> THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") writes:
>Is there some easy (ie not manually renumbering) way to seperate all multiple-
>statement lines in an Applesoft program?  Beagle Bros' COMPACT (on D CODE)
>will compress a program, but I need to go the other way.

NIBBLE once published a program called "Applesoft Anti-Line Cruncher" which
purports to do this.  I don't know when they originally published it, but
it's currently available on one of their "NIBBLE Classics" disks.  You
should be able to find the ad in the back of any NIBBLE magazine.

	       - Neil Parker
--
Neil Parker                 No cute ASCII art...no cute quote...no cute
parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu  disclaimer...no deposit, no return...

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) (04/20/91)

> Is there some easy (ie not manually renumbering) way to separate all
> multiple-statement lines in an Applesoft program?

I assume you mean taking this:

10 HOME:D$=CHR$(4)

and changing it to something like this:

10 HOME
20 D$=CHR$(4)

If so, I remember a program published in Nibble magazine a couple of years
back that would do just that.  Actually, the system consisted of a few
different programs, and the main purpose was to compress a program into the
smallest amount of space possible.  To do this, the main program created an
EXEC file which basically expanded the program into one statement per line,
then crunched it back into multiple statements per line....

The program is called something like Crunch, and I'm sure the folks at Nibble
could direct you to the specific issue.  (I know it's after Volume 7, #2...and
it was published a while back, I'd say before Volume 9....)

Wait - here's a recent issue.  The "Applesoft Streamliner" disk is $22.95 and
includes a REM remover, the expander mentioned above, the compresser mentioned
above (not the big program, the other one), an execution monitor (shows where
you're spending most of your time in a given program), and a variable cruncher
(compresses long variable names to one or two characters).  It's item #P04,
and is $22.95.  (If you can find out which volume the program was published
in, you can get the Nibble Express books, containing most of the programs from
that volume, for $12.97 each - or three for $24.95.)

If you choose to order, the Nibble Express volumes are items Bx (x = volume #
- Vol. 7 = B7, etc.), and shipping is $3.00 for each book and $2.50 for each
software order.  The address is MindCraft Publishing, PO Box 256, Lincoln, MA,
ZIP code 01773.
----
ProLine:  rhood@pro-gsplus                 | "Wherever you go...there you are."
Internet: rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com         |     -- Buckaroo Banzai
UUCP:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood           | Wanted: An unZIPper for a II!
ARPA:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood@nosc.mil  | If you have one, let's chat!