[comp.sys.apple2] Agate 069 - A first test look

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (04/17/91)

Philip (philip@utstat.utoronto.ca) was kind enough to send me a copy of
Agate 069 tonight (tues 4/16).  It is a beta version with no download
capabilities or much functionality other than its terminal (VT100 emulation)
mode.  It uses the graphics screen (not sure if its single or double hires)
to display a special ANSI graphics font.

There was no mention, however, of Zmodem compatibility.  The author is
located in British Columbia, so I'm posting his address and phone number
in the hopes that someone in B.C. will call him and find out what the current
state of the program is and post back to the net the news.

(it's a very, very expensive long distance call to B.C. from Miami, FL.  :-))

Tony Marques
2602 Molitor Street
Terrace, British Columbia Canada
                          V8G-3A2

(602) - 635 - 2724

thanks a bunch !!

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

philip@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.203853.9041@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>Philip (philip@utstat.utoronto.ca) was kind enough to send me a copy of
>Agate 069 tonight (tues 4/16).  It is a beta version with no download
>capabilities or much functionality other than its terminal (VT100 emulation)
>mode.  It uses the graphics screen (not sure if its single or double hires)
>to display a special ANSI graphics font.
>
>There was no mention, however, of Zmodem compatibility.

There is zmodem, I tell you! I just used it. I know I'm getting old
but...

philip
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
[my opinions,etc...]

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (04/19/91)

From jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch):

> It is a beta version with no download capabilities or much functionality
> other than its terminal (VT100 emulation) mode.  It uses the graphics
> screen (not sure if its single or double hires) to display a special ANSI
> graphics font.
>
> There was no mention, however, of Zmodem compatibility.  The author is
> located in British Columbia, so I'm posting his address and phone number
> in the hopes that someone in B.C. will call him and find out what the
> current state of the program is and post back to the net the news.

    Agate 0.69 uses an optional DHR graphics screen to display the IBM
extended character set (you can still switch back to the text screen, if you
want).  The copy I have has both ZModem and YModem-4K downloading.  I've used
the ZModem protocol successfully on several IBM and Macintosh BBS's.  There is
a copy up on the tybalt anonymous FTP server.

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

ag0514@csc.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) (04/20/91)

In article <618@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:

>Agate 0.69 uses an optional DHR graphics screen to display the IBM
>extended character set (you can still switch back to the text screen, if you
 want).  The copy I have has both ZModem and YModem-4K downloading.  I've used
>the ZModem protocol successfully on several IBM and Macintosh BBS's.  There is
 a copy up on the tybalt anonymous FTP server.

I used Agate connected to my roomate's Amiga and it was really bad.  I don't
know if I had it set up correctly, or not but it was horribly slow.

Andy Goldstein
Internet: ag0514@leah.albany.edu
  Bitnet: ag0514@albny1vx.bitnet
America Online: GOLDSTEIN