[comp.sys.apple2] a2r&d

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr16.123324.21596@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>The people who think Apple's suit is bad would like to HURT Apple.  Not buying
>Apple's products and not developing software for Apple products would
>be one way of doing that.

This would be one way of hurting the wrong department, yes.  I think a
hit-man planted in the slew of apple lawyers would do a better job.
.
. and you know who that hit-man is. it's me. and it's ever other programmer
. who decides to stop programming for the apple. we can make a difference.
. at least i'm sure gonna try. i'd have a much better chance if more of you
. II programmers would join me in hurting apple financially. this will sure
. get the legal department where it hurts. they would have no choice but to
. respond.
.
. when apple II users clamored for support from apple, didn't that cause
. ceo john sculley to write an "open letter" in incider. well, we sure can
. let him know there will be no more purchases of apple ii's from us. and we
. will try to convince others to do the same.
.
+ Derek Taubert --> derek@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu + Author of : GScii+	      +
+		    dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  + and other neat stuff to come +
.
.
In article <1991Apr16.172151.6398@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek A. Taubert) writes:

>>The people who think Apple's suit is bad would like to HURT Apple.  Not buying
>>Apple's products and not developing software for Apple products would
>>be one way of doing that.
>
>This would be one way of hurting the wrong department, yes.  I think a
>hit-man planted in the slew of apple lawyers would do a better job.

While this solution is certainly enticing, and VERY effective in the short term,
it's INNEFECTIVE in the long term.  Despite geneticists efforts, laywers
continue to reproduce.  The best solution is probably to not buy Apple products
and not support Apple products and TELL APPLE IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that you,
and many of similar mmind, will continue to ignore them until they stop it.  If
Apple suddenly started getting letters that they missed a million dollar sale
because of their legal policies, they might think..
.
. i agree. we must no longer buy apple products.
.
In article <1991Apr16.123324.21596@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

>The people who think Apple's suit is bad would like to HURT Apple.  Not buying
>Apple's products and not developing software for Apple products would
>be one way of doing that.

I do not want to hurt Apple, and I personally feel that this lawsuit is
unacceptable( as are many other "look and feel" ones).

Please consider that most R&D in the computer industry is basically
the "D". Scientists and mathematicians have been working on many of
the problems which commercial vendors then go on to refine in an attempt
to market the items. In one case, people are interested in pushing
forth Man's understanding of Nature, while on the other side CEO's
and bean counters are looking at margins.

Apple has lost a lot of goodwill over this lawsuit.
.
. i want to hurt apple, but only as a result of their greed over this issue.
. if you feel the lawsuit is unacceptable, what are you doing about it. if
. you really feel against what apple is doing, then do something about it.
. just disagreeing does absolutely nothing to stop apple.
.
Philip McDunnough
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca
.
. i'd like to know where all these UIUC people are coming from. i was
. very dismayed when no one responded to my previous articles regarding this
. same issue. however, i'm glad to see someone has stirred the masses. i hope
. more apple II users come out and vote against apple. i also hope that you
. write letters to john sculley. i'll be writing one over the weekend and
. will post it on the net for those of you who wish to include your name on
. it with mine.
.
. albert chin

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/21/91)

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:

>. and you know who that hit-man is. it's me. and it's ever other programmer
>. who decides to stop programming for the apple. we can make a difference.
>. at least i'm sure gonna try. i'd have a much better chance if more of you
>. II programmers would join me in hurting apple financially. this will sure
>. get the legal department where it hurts. they would have no choice but to
>. respond.

>. when apple II users clamored for support from apple, didn't that cause
>. ceo john sculley to write an "open letter" in incider. well, we sure can
>. let him know there will be no more purchases of apple ii's from us. and we
>. will try to convince others to do the same.

Albert, do not be a fool. You are only forcing their hand, and this is what
they want -- to have even more people leave the ][ so they can finally drop
it. I want active ][ development more than moral justice from Apple -- I do
not understand why you boycott Apple when the same principle would require
you to boycott the entire industry (or are you conveniently ignoring that?).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (04/21/91)

    Albert, your messages are rather confusing.  It's hard to tell what parts
are yours, and what parts are quoted from other sources.  You seem to follow
the opposite convention (with a prompt character in front of YOUR lines).
Anyway, I cannot agree with your stance.  Although kicking Apple in the shins
and getting them to say "OW!" is on most people's minds, you are going about
it the wrong way.  I am almost inclined to thing a saboteur has infiltrated
your account and started posting these potentially destructive messages.  If
we were all to stop writing great new software for the Apple II, then it would
most surely die.  So let's say you manage to completely stop all sales of the
Apple II.  I doubt Apple, Inc. would mind.  At least now they won't have to
spend money paying Apple II DTS.  Everything they earn will go into developing
the Macintosh.  Now look what you've done, Albert.  The Apple II is dead, and
Apple, Inc. is happily counting its Macs.

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."