[comp.sys.apple2] MIDI Interfaces

ST702383@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU ("Teddy D. Pan") (04/19/91)

Will the Opcode Professional Plus MIDI interface work with the GS or are
there specific drivers that it needs?

I'd get the apple midi interface but this one is cheaper and better so I'm
told.

Thanks in advance.

Ted
(st702383@brownvm)

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (04/19/91)

In article <9104191417.AA10479@apple.com>, ST702383@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU ("Teddy D. Pan") writes...
>Will the Opcode Professional Plus MIDI interface work with the GS or are

	I have one and it's works great.  I don't know what driver it uses
but I imagine it's the apple one.  If not no big deal, they all come with
the system disk.  My only wish is that Master tracks Pro would support
*two* of them!

>Ted
>(st702383@brownvm)
Ken Morton				"A vacant engineer rides on a
v097pba8@ubvms.Bitnet			 train of thought that will not
v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu		 lead him home" - Edie Brickell

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/20/91)

I'm JUST about to 'close a deal' with the Music department at UT Chattanooga.
I'm talking them into getting some GSs with some MIDI equipment and
software.  I need some info though...

1.  What software is available?
    -how good is it (especially compared to mac MIDI stuff?)
    -Is there composition software available (one of their specific questions)
2.  What Hardware interfaces are there.
    -what features do they have?
    -how much do they cost?
3.  I heard someone say that there's a card that supports either 4 or 8
    output channels?
    -is it still available?
    -who makes it... how much.... where from?
4.  I need to know the maximum limits of the GSs sound capabilities.
    -sample rate
    -playback rate
    -anything else you feel is important
5.  Where's the best (cheapest) place to get GSs? (and price, of course:)

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (04/21/91)

In article <9104200204.AA06989@apple.com>, MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes...

>I'm JUST about to 'close a deal' with the Music department at UT Chattanooga.
>I'm talking them into getting some GSs with some MIDI equipment and
>software.  I need some info though...
>
>1.  What software is available?
>    -how good is it (especially compared to mac MIDI stuff?)
>    -Is there composition software available (one of their specific questions)

	Music Writer Professional by Pyware.  40 Staves, MIDI, it can
also play the piece with the GS's ensoniq.  I personally don't think it's
all that wonderful and it's a tad quirky.
	Master Tracks Pro by Passport.  Excellent!  One reason I've hung onto
the GS for so long.  It's just like the Mac version, but no Sys-Ex dumps.
There's a program called SysExGS that one could use to fill that hole.
[MIDI-sequencing, graphic controller editing, the works]

>2.  What Hardware interfaces are there.
>    -what features do they have?
>    -how much do they cost?

	Any Opcode Mac interface will work - MTpro doesn't support more than
one MIDI port on the GS tho - and probably never will.

	The GS doesn't have the software it should have.  With the Ensoniq
it's a powerful music computer.  I'd like to see it do sampling resynthesis
and such, along with extensive sample editing.  16 bit rez could be achieved
by using MIDI sample dumps and playing with the data.  The GS itself won't
play back 16bit, but for the purpose of making new sounds the ensoniq would
serve as approximation.  Takes a while to dump the sample back into a
sampler you see.
	I intend on taking on the task of learning to program this beast
very soon in the future.  Not anything the masses might like, but specialized
MIDI and sound software that I'd like to see realized.

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (04/21/91)

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) writes:
>In article <9104200204.AA06989@apple.com>, MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes...
>>
>>I'm JUST about to 'close a deal' with the Music department at UT Chattanooga.
>>I'm talking them into getting some GSs with some MIDI equipment and
>>software.  I need some info though...
>>
>>1.  What software is available?
>>    -how good is it (especially compared to mac MIDI stuff?)
>>    -Is there composition software available (one of their specific questions)
>
>	Music Writer Professional by Pyware.  40 Staves, MIDI, it can
>also play the piece with the GS's ensoniq.  I personally don't think it's
>all that wonderful and it's a tad quirky.

MusicWriter (by Pyware) is more than just quirky. It was obviously written by
programmers who had limited knowledge of music. Even at 1/5th of its $500
cost, I still wouldn't bother with it.

DiversiTune is much more robust than almost anything else I've seen for the
GS. The problem is that its user interface is cumbersome and punching in & out
is awkward... it also doesn't produce notes in staves. Seriously worth looking
at...

SoundSmith, though impressive, gives music that "spreadsheet" quality that
should be avoided at all costs.

In terms of MIDI boxes, anything that works on the Mac (there are a few Yamaha
models) will work on the GS as well. Apple's own box is overpriced, and
stripped down to the minimum number of features... it doesn't even have a MIDI
though.  :(

You can build you own for $30 or less...

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |