[comp.sys.apple2] Is the Apple II dead?

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (04/19/91)

Please read the following very carefully:

==========================
mac.apple/from.apple #128, from lloeb, 2938 chars, Tue Apr 16 14:11:40 1991
--------------------------
TITLE: RE-org
Apple Divisionalizes Product Efforts; Appoints Product Division
Heads

CUPERTINO, California--April 4, 1991--In a move designed to
accelerate the development of new products and breakthrough
technologies, Apple Computer, Inc. today announced that it has
divisionalized its research and development and worldwide
product marketing functions.  The divisions will sharpen
management focus and concentrate company resources on Apple's
mainstream Macintosh computer platform as well as on emerging
business opportunities.
    "We are committed to gaining even more market share for our
current Macintosh platform and ensuring that Apple will be a
major player in tomorrow's computing environments," said John
Sculley, Apple's CEO,  chairman, and chief technology officer.
.More..
"These moves support those strategies by focusing resources
directly on the rapid delivery of new products--both for
Macintosh and beyond."
    The Macintosh Hardware division will focus on the
development of new Macintosh personal computer systems and
peripherals in all market segments.  It will be led by Gerald F.
(Fred) Forsyth, senior vice president and general manager
(previously senior vice president, Worldwide Manufacturing).
The Macintosh Software Architecture division will focus on the
timely delivery of Macintosh system software enhancements and
developer services.  It will be directed by Roger Heinen, vice
president and general manager (previously vice president,
Software Engineering).  The Enterprise System division will
focus on developing hardware and software for customers needing
industry standards, larger networks, and multivendor
connectivity.  It will be managed by an executive yet to be
chosen.   These three groups will report to Michael H. Spindler,
president and chief operating officer.  Forsyth will continue to
direct manufacturing on an acting basis, until a replacement is
named.  Apple's three geographic regions continue to report to
.More..
Spindler.
    The Object-Based Systems division will develop new software
platforms for personal computing in the nineties.  It will be
led by Edward W. Birss, senior vice president and general
manager (previously senior vice president, Product Engineering
Operations).  The Advanced Technology Group will continue to
focus on investigating compelling new technologies; David Nagel
remains its vice president.  The Advanced Products Group will
continue to develop products which extend traditional notions of
personal computing; Lawrence G. Tesler remains its vice
president. The Consumer division will focus on the creation of
lower-priced, high-volume products for the consumer market; John
Sculley will be acting head of this group until an executive is
appointed.  These four groups will report to Sculley in his role
as chief technology officer.   Apple's executive staff and
Claris Corporation (Apple's wholly-owned software subsidiary)
continue to report to Sculley.

-----------

Did you notice the line:
"The Consumer division will focus on the creation of
lower-priced, high-volume products for the consumer market;"

Do you think this could be Apple II stuff, or is it Mac Classic time>
???
*** RAndy Hyde

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/20/91)

In article <13682@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:

>CUPERTINO, California--April 4, 1991--In a move designed to
>accelerate the development of new products and breakthrough
>technologies, Apple Computer, Inc. today announced that it has
>divisionalized its research and development and worldwide
>product marketing functions.

>Do you think this could be Apple II stuff, or is it Mac Classic time>

Randy, the Apple II Business Unit is part of Apple's recently created
Consumer division.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/20/91)

Randy Hyde writes:

>"The Consumer division will focus on the creation of
>lower-priced, high-volume products for the consumer market;"
>
>Do you think this could be Apple II stuff, or is it Mac Classic time>
>???
>*** RAndy Hyde

More than likely, it's Mac Classic time :(  Although, I've seen promising
signs (not really from Apple but..) from one of my Mac Maniac friends who,
when I first met him, hated the II and thought it was a lousy computer...
I've since shown him some of what it'll do... (3200 colors, 15 voices,
almost real time digitizing, use hardware intended for the mac, impressed
him with the knowledge and expertise of my fellow netters! :) and finally,
today, I told him about the 17Mhz ASIC!...  He's still never said that the
GS is a powerful computer, but he no longer says it's NOT... and today, he
seemed to acknowledge that Apple is changing it's attitude towards the
Apple II.  Hearing him at least MUMBLE that, makes me almost believe it! :)

By the way, did I hear someone say that the new ASIC will (does?) have
a PMMU???

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (04/21/91)

To answer your question directly, "What's an Apple II?".  Of course it's
Mac stuff.  God forbid they acknowledge the II's existence.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alfalfa.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alfalfa!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs