[comp.sys.apple2] against apple

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr16.012944.24966@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> Paul-Pomes@uiuc.edu writes:
>Anyone who cares what Apple is trying to do with their Look & Feel lawsuits
>should forbear from purchasing any more Apple equipment.  Selling what you
>have and dropping software development of Apple-specific programs would be
>excellent steps.

One question - why?  Dropping software development would be the WORST thing
any machine user could do, especially if they have had several years of
programming experience.  Forget that I said that, just answer me why.
.
. that is exactly why we must stop development for the apple II. it will
. hurt apple. if it didn't, then apple is not making _any_ money off the apple
. II, therefore apple would have to reason to keep making the machine. the
. fact of the matter is apple goes where the money is. if the apple II
. community let it be known that we would no longer support the machine, that
. would have a direct effect on apple's income (how much i don't know). i
. hope all programmers stop programming for the apple II (or release your
. software _only_ to those who will never ever buy another apple computer.
.
--
+ Derek Taubert --> derek@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu + Author of : GScii	      +
+		    dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  + {MUCH more to come...}	      +

>>Anyone who cares what Apple is trying to do with their Look & Feel lawsuits
>>should forbear from purchasing any more Apple equipment.  Selling what you
>>have and dropping software development of Apple-specific programs would be
>>excellent steps.
>>

>One question - why?  Dropping software development would be the WORST thing
>any machine user could do, especially if they have had several years of
>programming experience.

Small word time.

Apple is suing Microsoft because MS Windows "looks" like Apple software.
Some people think this is bad, because it might mean that any programmer
with a GUI would have to send a royalty check to Apple.

(More fundamentally, it encourages meaningless differentiation of interfaces,
making it more difficult for users to switch from platform to platform.)

The people who think Apple's suit is bad would like to HURT Apple.  Not buying
Apple's products and not developing software for Apple products would
be one way of doing that.

(Being a Mac developer myself, I would have to note that Apple has done more
to discourage small software developers than the FSF will ever be able to do.)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner
.
. i am one of the people that wants to hurt apple. i'm not ashamed.
.
>Anyone who cares what Apple is trying to do with their Look & Feel lawsuits
>should forbear from purchasing any more Apple equipment.  Selling what you
>have and dropping software development of Apple-specific programs would be
>excellent steps.

Blech. You too?

Hurting the Apple II is hurting the Apple II, not Apple.

Hurting the MAC is hurting Apple.

Offering people real money (and more than Apple!) for their old machines
is a winner of an idea as far as I'm concerned!!

I just wish I could pick up a ROM 3 for $250...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu
.
. hurting the apple II is of course hurting the apple II. but how does it
. not hurt apple? do you mean there is no economic impact on apple computer.
. i disagree.
.
. hurting the mac is "hurting apple _faster_" than trying to make apple II
. sales hurt apple. but it is still effective.
.
. giving real money for old machines is an excellent slap in the fact to
. apple. i'm glad to see it happen. more of us should slap apple's face off.
. i also hope those who are getting rid of their apple computers will
. never ever buy an apple computer again.
.
. a ROM 3 for $250 is a good price. but don't consider buying any more
. apple computers. just take out a mortgage and buy a Sun :)
.
. albert

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/20/91)

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:

>. that is exactly why we must stop development for the apple II. it will
>. hurt apple. if it didn't, then apple is not making _any_ money off the apple
>. II, therefore apple would have to reason to keep making the machine. the
>. fact of the matter is apple goes where the money is. if the apple II
>. community let it be known that we would no longer support the machine, that
>. would have a direct effect on apple's income (how much i don't know). i
>. hope all programmers stop programming for the apple II (or release your
>. software _only_ to those who will never ever buy another apple computer.

I can't believe this. No one can be this bitter.

Albert, the lingering development for the II and its history in schools are the
only reasons Apple is still making it. The recent bit about Consumer division
means we might see some real mass-market versions of the ][ (great place for
it, given how old the 8 bit series is and how easy it would be to make it a
studly starter family machine, which is what Laser did).

If everybody agreed with Albert then the ][ would die and all active production
would stop within a month. I do not want to see this happen, I want them to
produce a "they finally got it right" GS before the line is discontinued, so
the GS will not simply fade into history after all.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (04/21/91)

The lawsuit against Microsoft regarding their Windows wasn't because it
Looks or Feels like a Mac, it's because Microsoft liceneced (yes, paid for)
the right to use certain things in their windows system from guess who?
Apple.  Apple licenced them some 99 items (probably contractual items on a
list) which relate to how it operates and behaves.  However, MS-Windows
contains some 199 items from that list.  Apple said "You didn't pay us
then, you'll pay us now."

D'ya think John Scully has one of those mperstickers that says "My lawer
can beat up you lawer!"?

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alfalfa.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alfalfa!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs