[comp.sys.apple2] a2r&d, ethernet, TCP/IP, mounting mounted volumes

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (04/21/91)

[odd quoting method, some attributed to me, etc...]

What are you saying? This all sounds confused. There must be a point
to all of this but where is it hidden?

On an unrelated matter, can you mount a mounted volume? For example with
System7.0 on a Mac there is apparently a "Personal Appleshare". So, suppose
a remote volume is mounted on a Mac( say a large Unix disk). Can that then
be seen via Personal AppleShare by a GS on an Appletalk network?

Here's the problem: NeXT<->Mac(via ethernet and Mac NFS)->(?) GS.

Philip McDunnough
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca

EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU (04/22/91)

Yes, System 7.0 Personal Appleshare volumes can be seen and used by
Apple IIs.  I'm doing it right now in fact and it works pretty well with
only one annoying bug that I know of (there is a workaround).  Otherwise,
it works as advertised.

--Rick Ewing
  Vanderbilt University

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (04/22/91)

In article <61EBED2F20400954@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu> EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU writes:
>Yes, System 7.0 Personal Appleshare volumes can be seen and used by
>Apple IIs.  I'm doing it right now in fact and it works pretty well with
>only one annoying bug that I know of (there is a workaround).  Otherwise,
>it works as advertised.

Yes but can the GS access a volume that has been mounted on a Mac from
say a Unix computer using NFS. To the Mac the Unix Hard Drive appears as
just another hard drive, but can this "hard drive" be exported to the
GS using Personal AppleShare? If it could, then you could send items from
a GS to a Unix machine with ease. Now typically the Mac will connect to
the Unix computer via Ethernet and use Mac NFS or whatever in order to mount
the Unix computer's hard drive onto the Mac desktop. On the other hand
this same Mac is then connected to the GS via Appletalk( over Localtalk).

I guess I'm asking if the Unix mounted hard drive is a Personal AppleShare
volume.

Philip McDunnough
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca

EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU (04/22/91)

>I guess I'm asking if the Unix mounted hard drive is a Personal AppleShare
volume.

Well, what you are asking is on the fringe of compatibility.  I guess it's
possible.  Personal Appleshare will allow you to share just about anything
except floppies and other Appleshare volumes.  Since something like
NFS/Share isn't considered to be Appleshare, I guess Personal Appleshare
could be fooled into sharing an NFS volume.  Assuming this works....

It may work but I doubt if its performance would be good because you're
going through two things just to share the NFS server.  Instead, I would
suggest either using CAP 6.0 or something to make the Unix machine a real
Appleshare server, or if you have a Gatorbox for a router, use gatorshare.
make sure that either solution will support Apple IIs.  Some Appleshare
implementations aren't that good when it comes to Apple IIs (like DataClub).

Of course, there *is* precedence for this hare-brained solutions.  Back
two years ago, there was a product for the IBM PCs that allowed you to
set up a dedicated Appleshare 1.1 server.  A customer of the Apple office
in Houston that was running this has a 3-Com server in which they wanted
the Macs to talk to, but the 3-Com - Mac solution was pretty gross.  Instead,
what they tried was to use the 3-Com DOS software on the Appleshare DOS
server to mount the 3-Com server as an available drive.  Then after running
the Apopleshare software and sharing the network 3-Com drive, the Macs
actually saw the 3-Com drive.  What's even more amazing is that not only
did it work, but the performance wasn't that bad either.  It was a weird
solution, but sometimes these things work out.

--Rick Ewing
  Vanderbilt University

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (04/22/91)

EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU writes:
>Yes, System 7.0 Personal Appleshare volumes can be seen and used by
>Apple IIs.  I'm doing it right now in fact and it works pretty well with
>only one annoying bug that I know of (there is a workaround).  Otherwise,
>it works as advertised.
>
>--Rick Ewing
>  Vanderbilt University

Do you mean by "Personal AppleShare" that files can be shared between a
Macintosh and an Apple II? What I'd really like to see is the capability to
share files (via AppleShare) among Apple II's with no need for a Mac.

| Stephen Brown                           Toronto, Canada |
| Internet: sb@pnet91.cts.com      UUCP: utzoo!pnet91!sb  |
| Apple II Forever !!!                                    |
| Like my new .signature. ?    Too bad.                   |

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.221802.20951@utstat.uucp>, philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

> I guess I'm asking if the Unix mounted hard drive is a Personal AppleShare
> volume.

If anyone has a definitive answer, I'd like to know, too.  Philip's
situation is similar to my own; I'd like to use the NeXT's filesystem
(exported with CAP) on my IIgs.  Since the GS doesn't currently
support TCP/IP or thin Ethernet, I'll have to use the Mac to bridge
the two environments (using Apple's Internet Bridge software).

I suppose the situation is analogous to mounting an AppleShare
volume from a server and then trying to re-export it.  Has anyone
tried this?

-Declan