[comp.sys.apple2] Dare ya to figure out what's wrong...

sxaeg@acad3.alaska.edu (greenwalt art e) (04/22/91)

The system:  ROM 01 GS with Inner Drive 20 MEG hd, system
saver (so it gets plenty of ventilation), FingerPrint GS
board, GS Juice Plus-2 MEGs, V5.0.4, AWGS V1.1, Apple RGB
monitor, 2 Apple 3.5's and 1 Apple 5.25.
The problem:  It crashes/refuses to finish an application
or NDA launch...at random.  For instance:  at first I
would try to bring up ShowPic and it did fine.  Then it
started only bringing up the box outline and the SHOW button
though that still worked.  Now it just brings up the outline.
AWGS text only partially deletes when I backspace.  I cannot
launch Crystal Quest or the Arkanoids or various other games
(but not all) from the desktop.  When I tried the 3-finger salute
after ShowPic crashed I got error 0308 (damaged heartbeat queue).
Same salute from a failed application launch gave me $1B02 (cannot
reset font manager).  Usually the salute from an application
gives me $0602 (cannot reset event manager).  Various graphics
seem to cause it to hang or crash though there is no pattern.
  I haven't seen any smoke and there are no dust bunnies in the
CPU.  Boards are all seated well.  Self-test works okay.
  So what's the problem, folks?

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr22.025354.24434@ims.alaska.edu> sxaeg@acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>[...] When I tried the 3-finger salute
>after ShowPic crashed I got error 0308 (damaged heartbeat queue).
>Same salute from a failed application launch gave me $1B02 (cannot
>reset font manager).  Usually the salute from an application
>gives me $0602 (cannot reset event manager).

The $1B02 and $0602 errors you get when hitting Apple-Ctrl-Reset I can
explain:  You are letting go of the Apple key too soon, so you aren't
really doing a 3-fingered salute.  Hold Apple down until you see  that
the machine is really rebooting (you see the text screen with "Apple IIgs"
at the top).

I don't know what's causing your original crashes; I don't think you
described them in detail.  Is it hangs, monitor crashes, or fatal
errors?

Try taking out all your nonstandard DAs and inits, and see if your
applications work reliably.  That would at least be a starting point.

--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (04/22/91)

From sxaeg@acad3.alaska.edu (greenwalt art e):

> The system:  ROM 01 GS with Inner Drive 20 MEG hd, system saver (so
> it gets plenty of ventilation), FingerPrint GS board, GS Juice
> Plus-2 MEGs, V5.0.4, AWGS V1.1, Apple RGB monitor, 2 Apple 3.5's and
> 1 Apple 5.25.
[..snip..]
> Then it started only bringing up the box outline and the SHOW button
> though that still worked.  Now it just brings up the outline. AWGS
> text only partially deletes when I backspace.

    Sounds like something the GrafSpeed NDA would do (Bill Gulstad:  do you
have a bug fix for version 1.2 yet?).  But the other symptoms don't sound like
something it would cause.  You mentioned your hardware setup; how about your
System folder setup?  Desk accessories, INIT's, CDev's, etc.?

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."