[comp.sys.apple2] SPELLING Checker Search

giovin@ecs.umass.edu (04/22/91)

Hi,
	I'm looking for programs that check the spelling
of Appleworks files.  My sister has the Applied Engineering Card
that provides 80-col to a II+ and allows her to use Appleworks version 2.0
or earlier with something like a 10k buffer.
	The problem is that the Appleworks spelling checkers that I've tested
(Megaworks, Webster's, and Timeout) will not allow a II+ to run them
(thinking, apparently, that a II+ shouldn't be able to run such a
program).  Does anyone know of a spelling checking program that checks
Appleworks files and might run on a II+?

Thanks,
Rocky Giovinazzo

P.S.  I've also gone the route of having my sister write her documents
to a text file and then transfer them to DOS 3.3 so that they can
work with "old" spelling checkers but really-- it's quite a lot of work
especially for her who does not understand what DOS 3.3 and ProDOS are
at all.

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/24/91)

In article <13334.28123338@ecs.umass.edu> giovin@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>Hi,
>	I'm looking for programs that check the spelling
>of Appleworks files.  My sister has the Applied Engineering Card
>that provides 80-col to a II+ and allows her to use Appleworks version 2.0
>or earlier with something like a 10k buffer.

10K...eww.  I thought the 40K desktop with AppleWorks 3.0 on a 128K
IIe was restrictive...

>	The problem is that the Appleworks spelling checkers that I've tested
>(Megaworks, Webster's, and Timeout) will not allow a II+ to run them
>(thinking, apparently, that a II+ shouldn't be able to run such a
>program).  Does anyone know of a spelling checking program that checks
>Appleworks files and might run on a II+?

Yes--AppleWorks 3.0.  It has a built-in spell checker, but you'd need
to add more memory first (advisable in any case, especially if all you
have right now is a dinky 10K).  Get a RAMcard with at least 256K on
it; I think you can replace the 16K "language card" with one of these
boards, which can typically hold up to a megabyte on the card.  I also
think a version of PlusWorks is available to patch AppleWorks 3.0, but
don't quote me on it.

If you want to stick with AppleWorks 2.0, you could get TimeOut
QuickSpell, which has basically the same spell checker as AppleWorks
3.0.  Depending on the price for QuickSpell, though, and considering
that you'd need more RAM to run QuickSpell, you might be better off
spending a little extra for AppleWorks 3.0.  (QuickSpell probably
retails for about $50-$60.  AppleWorks 3.0 upgrades from Claris cost
only $79 with your original AppleWorks 1.x or 2.x (or any Apple
Writer) disk.)  I don't know how much PlusWorks would cost for
AppleWorks 3.0.  As for RAMcards, you have a few options, from $69 (?)
for a "Super Expander Plus" (with no standard memory) from Price
Busters, to about $175 (?) for an Applied Engineering RamFactor (with
256K) from a number of mail-order vendors, to (probably) a few hundred
dollars for a real Apple II Memory Expansion Card. (I was once quoted
over $300 for one of these cards from a local Apple dealer; I said
"thank you" and walked away.)

Support Operation Apple Storm!          / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/