[comp.sys.apple2] IIc+ accelerator/How to turn it on/off?

tabn9@isuvax.iastate.edu (04/21/91)

I am wondering how I could turn the accelerator on the IIc+ on or off from
within the program.  I know that by using OPEN APPLE/CONTROL/ESCAPE/RESET
would turn off the accelerator, but that would restart the entire system.
Could there be any way to do it without restarting?

Tony Neyens, a student at Iowa State University
(TABN9@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU or TABN9@ISUVAX.BITNET) (Offer expires 5/17/91)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.133402.16305@news.iastate.edu> tabn9@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>I am wondering how I could turn the accelerator on the IIc+ on or off from
>within the program.  I know that by using OPEN APPLE/CONTROL/ESCAPE/RESET
>would turn off the accelerator, but that would restart the entire system.
>Could there be any way to do it without restarting?
>
>Tony Neyens, a student at Iowa State University
>(TABN9@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU or TABN9@ISUVAX.BITNET) (Offer expires 5/17/91)

The information you need to control the IIc Plus accelerator is in the
Apple IIc Technical Reference, Second Edition, in one of the appendicies.
(This book is available from APDA at 1-800-282-APDA; I believe you can
get it without being an APDA member.)
You need to "unlock" the accelerator and then set it to slow mode.

I believe code was also published in a Q&A column, but I don't know what
magazine.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

tabn9@isuvax.iastate.edu (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr21.133402.16305@news.iastate.edu>, I asked
>I am wondering how I could turn the accelerator on the IIc+ on or off from
>within the program.  I know that by using OPEN APPLE/CONTROL/ESCAPE/RESET
>would turn off the accelerator, but that would restart the entire system.
>Could there be any way to do it without restarting?

To which, in article <51810@apple.Apple.COM>, dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons)
  replied:
>The information you need to control the IIc Plus accelerator is in the
>Apple IIc Technical Reference, Second Edition, in one of the appendicies.

I could try interlibrary loan, since that book is not in our library, but...

>I believe code was also published in a Q&A column, but I don't know what
>magazine.

In Incider magazine, December (either 1989 or 1990), a short BASIC program
that loaded and called a machine language program.  The data for the ML program
follows:

        169, x, 72, 32, 199, 199, 96
   Where x=1 for the fast mode (3MHz) or x=2 for the slow mode (1MHz)

WARNING!!!!!  Try this code ONLY ON A IIc+,  THIS WILL NOT WORK FOR ANY OTHER
II PRODUCT!!!                                          ---

Thanks for the help, David!