[comp.sys.apple2] question

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (10/25/90)

  Remember all that information that Apple was collecting from us, (Apple II
people) about what we would like to see in a new machine? I wonder what they
either did with it or what they are doing with it. Did they already use it
on the LC, or do you think there is a new GS in the works? I would love a ROM04
as I am sure most of you would. Just a thought I had..  :)

Robert
Real: Robert Brown                      * Profanity is the one language all
Academic Computing Services Lab Manager * programmers know best.
Bitnet: RXBROWN@UALR                    * I speak for me, myself, and I!!
AOL: ROBPHD                             * Tires and tax not included,void where
Apple //GS the power to be your best.   * prohibited. Member FDIC..............

WNSWIS%WSU.DECNET@MSUS1.BITNET (A) (02/13/91)

	I am using a Laser 128 with 1 Meg of ram --  I think that it would
	be really great if I could get some kind of RAMKEEPER -- (ie a
	constant power supply for my ram) so that I could keep prodos,  basic
	system and my application launcher in  the ram to boot from...
	But I have looked and found nothing... maybe someone out there is
	an electro-wiz or knows of somebody who knows somebody... and could
	do me a service.....

			Ian
			WNSWIS%WSU@MSUS1.bitnet

| I am You Are We can be	| Doing nothing  is what I don't do best	| if we are free...		|						|  (/|\) !! Peace man Peace!	|

c056hdh@utarlg.uta.edu (Honda Hwang) (04/23/91)

	well, this is my first post.

	can someone tell me what a forked file is?  how it is used? and why?
  	I'm not a GS programmer or hacker, so I'm sorry if I sound ignorant.

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.064407.25899@cse.uta.edu> c056hdh@utarlg.uta.edu writes:

>	well, this is my first post.
>
>	can someone tell me what a forked file is?  how it is used? and why?
>  	I'm not a GS programmer or hacker, so I'm sorry if I sound ignorant.

Basically it is a disk file that is conceptually viewed in two parts.
The first part holds data (or program code), the other holds
resources. Resources are similar to program code, but are things like
definitions for how a window will look and the like.

Of course, there are numerous people here on the net who are
infinitely more able to answer your question that I am. The two
best are Apple,Inc employees (Andy Nicholas & David Lyons). Both
join us here on the net in their spare time and are always very
informative.
--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.001045.10057@world.std.com> lucifer@world.std.com
 (Kevin S Green) writes:

>In article <1991Apr23.064407.25899@cse.uta.edu> c056hdh@utarlg.uta.edu writes:
>>
>>	can someone tell me what a forked file is?  how it is used? and why?
>>  	I'm not a GS programmer or hacker, so I'm sorry if I sound ignorant.
>
>Basically it is a disk file that is conceptually viewed in two parts.
>The first part holds data (or program code), the other holds
>resources. Resources are similar to program code, but are things like
>definitions for how a window will look and the like.

Just to expand on that a bit, I'll mention the common uses of the two forks.

The data fork holds one of two things-  Program code, in a format strictly
defined by the IIGS System Loader;  or application-specific data.  The data
could be a word proc document, or a graphics image, or anything else.  Although
many of the data fork data formats have been published, these formats are
still essentially at the whim of the developer of the application.

The resource fork -must- be in one format - the format defined and maintained
by the IIGS Resource Manager.  A large number of system resource formats have
been defined and published, and individual applications may define and use
their own resource formats as well.  But the freedom of definition extends only
to the bounds of each resource - the resource manager is reponsible for the
creation, deletion, reading and writing of resources and the structure of the
resource fork.

What are resources used for?  Many items in the toolbox can be defined with
data structures in resources;  This means a program's appearance and behavior
may be modified simply be modifying the resources.  For example, you can
localize a program simply by editing all the string resources - rather than
having to go into the source code and "search and destroy" all strings.  And
because many resource types are standardized, third party resource editors can
be used to edit other programs.

Andy Stadler
Apple Computer, Inc.

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.001045.10057@world.std.com> lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) writes:
>Of course, there are numerous people here on the net who are
>infinitely more able to answer your question that I am. The two
>best are Apple,Inc employees (Andy Nicholas & David Lyons). Both
>join us here on the net in their spare time and are always very
>informative.

Hey guys, don't forget Andy Stadler, one of the HCGS guys!

>--
>Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
--
David Huang                              |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |    "How much is that hamster

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (04/25/91)

In article <47780@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) writes:
>In article <1991Apr24.001045.10057@world.std.com> lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) writes:
>>Of course, there are numerous people here on the net who are
>>infinitely more able to answer your question that I am. The two
>>best are Apple,Inc employees (Andy Nicholas & David Lyons). Both
>>join us here on the net in their spare time and are always very
>>informative.
>
>Hey guys, don't forget Andy Stadler, one of the HCGS guys!

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to slight any of the Apple // team.
They are all excellent sources of information and deserve
alot of credit for putting up with csa2 nonsense.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer