[comp.sys.apple2] Proterm 2.1 and my modem

akcs.james22@vpnet.chi.il.us (James Thomas) (04/23/91)

     I was wondering if anyonew knows how to configure a Practial Periperhals
2400 baud modem with v.42 bis so that it will work with the error
correction and MNP.  I was thinkiing it would work if I logged onto a
Courier HST based board or another BBS with MNP, but I can't get
the high speed light (4800 or 9600 baud) color to come on.  I
have it presently set for a HAYES SMARTMODEM 2400 for compatability w/
ProTERM and I set the CONTROL PANEL settings correctly but I decided to
pu the baud rate up to 9600 BPS.  Should I set the Proterm baud rate to
9600?  The modem can accept commands at up to 9600 baud.  Please I need some
help with this dilemma.

                                          James
l rets d
use OD
9600
ethe
hmodsao OCto
mne

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (04/24/91)

When setting up your modem for MNP, set the MNP for auto-reliable because not
all BBS's have MNP. Also set your RTS/CTS to enable and set flow control to
CTS/RTS bidirectional flow control. There might be other things to set up too.
I'm not sure about the V.42 part since I only have a MNP5.

Set Proterm and the Control Panel up to 9600 baud as well.

Daniel Thingvold   thingvol@lax.wisc.edu

jmh@engin.umich.edu (Jeffrey M. Hansen) (04/25/91)

In article <28137b3f-158ccomp.sys.apple2@vpnet.chi.il.us> akcs.james22@vpnet.chi.il.us (James Thomas) writes:

>     I was wondering if anyonew knows how to configure a Practial Periperhals
>2400 baud modem with v.42 bis so that it will work with the error
>correction and MNP.  I was thinkiing it would work if I logged onto a
>Courier HST based board or another BBS with MNP, but I can't get
>the high speed light (4800 or 9600 baud) color to come on.  I
>have it presently set for a HAYES SMARTMODEM 2400 for compatability w/
>ProTERM and I set the CONTROL PANEL settings correctly but I decided to
>pu the baud rate up to 9600 BPS.  Should I set the Proterm baud rate to
>9600?  The modem can accept commands at up to 9600 baud.  Please I need some
>help with this dilemma.
>
>                                          James

I don't know if this will apply to your modem (I have a
ViVa 2400m w/MNP5), but here goes.  Set proterm at 9600.  On
my modem, it has an AT command that sets up what's called
auto-reliable mode.  Put this sequence into the modem initialization
string of proterm.  This will tell your modem to try to connect to
another error correcting modem.  When you do so, your connect message
from the modem should say so (mine says "connect 2400/rel)".
The host will usually say something like "error correcting modem
detected".  Mail me if you have an other questions.

Jeff Hansen
-----------
Internet: jmh@aal.itd.umich.edu        BitNet: userHCQ7@UBUMICH
          Jeff_Hansen@ub.cc.umich.edu

"The communists can build satellites that circle the planet,
 but they can't make shredded wheat."--Whittaker Chambers
--

Jeff Hansen
-----------

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (04/25/91)

>     I was wondering if anyonew knows how to configure a Practial Periperhals
>2400 baud modem with v.42 bis so that it will work with the error
>correction and MNP.  I was thinkiing it would work if I logged onto a
>Courier HST based board or another BBS with MNP, but I can't get
>the high speed light (4800 or 9600 baud) color to come on.  I
>have it presently set for a HAYES SMARTMODEM 2400 for compatability w/
>ProTERM and I set the CONTROL PANEL settings correctly but I decided to
>pu the baud rate up to 9600 BPS.  Should I set the Proterm baud rate to
>9600?  The modem can accept commands at up to 9600 baud.  Please I need some
>help with this dilemma.
>
>                                          James

I purchaced a PP modem (with MNP5, not .42bis) with the same idea. The problem
is that PT will not talk to the modem at greater than the connect speed. So
you can get a ECC connection, at 2400 baud. I got around the problem by
taking the modem back, and getting a PP 9600SA. 9600 baud is great, the time
it has saved online has more than made up for the cost (IMHO).

Hopefully this will be fixed in PT 3.0, whenever that comes out.

Rich

-Rich-@cup.portal.com