[comp.sys.apple2] Problem with GS Shrinkit

ksh@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (Kish Shen) (04/24/91)

I have been having problems with my copy of Shrinkit. Can anyone on the
net give
me any help please?

When I run GS Shrinkit, it quite often crashes, with a message that says
something
like "System Error 002" (I think I have seen it give other error numbers as
well). I have not been able to isolate the cause, but it also run at times, in
fact sometimes it crashes only after I have already successfully ran it several
times in a row, without running any other programs in between, and at
other times,
I cannot get it to run at all.

I have a ROM 01 GS with 2.25M of memory (but I had this problem when I
had 1.25M
of memory). I am not quite sure which version of GS Shrinkit I have, but it was
the (first, but I have not seen any other postings of GS Shrinkit since then)
version that was posted to comp.binaries.apple2.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kish Shen
ksh@cl.cam.ac.uk

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.021051.27802@cl.cam.ac.uk> ksh@cl.cam.ac.uk (Kish Shen) writes:

>When I run GS Shrinkit, it quite often crashes, with a message that says
>something like "System Error 002" (I think I have seen it give other error
>numbers as well). I have not been able to isolate the cause, but it also run
>at times, in fact sometimes it crashes only after I have already successfully
>ran it several times in a row, without running any other programs in between,
>and at other times, I cannot get it to run at all.

Kish, the current version of GS-ShrinkIt is v1.0.4 -- it fixes some serious
problems with earlier versions.  If you don't have any other way to get a
a copy then the net, then send me some email and I'll mail you a copy (which
you can decode as long as you have binscii).  I keep binscii'd copies of
shrinkit 3.2.3 and gs-shrinkit 1.0.4 around because I get a lot of requests
for them.

Also, some other information would be useful -- which System software are you
using?  GS-ShrinkIt will run on anything on or after v5.0.2 of the System,
but it would be preferable to run on the latest released System, v5.0.4.

Since you mentioned that you can run GS-ShrinkIt several times in a row
without crashing, what desk accessories do you have in your machine?  Some
DAs are really notorious about giving GS-ShrinkIt a hard time (and make it
crash).   Also, what program are you using to launch GS-ShrinkIt?  Are you
using GS-ShrinkIt as the "start" program? (it shouldn't matter, but who knows?)

Any other information you could provide would help greatly (like the exact
error messages you were receiving when running GS-ShrinkIt).

thanks,

>Kish Shen

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (04/26/91)

> I am not quite sure which version of GS Shrinkit I have, but it was the
> (first, but I have not seen any other postings of GS Shrinkit since then)
> version that was posted to comp.binaries.apple2.

    Go to the About... box (if you get GSHK running again) and check the
version number there.  The latest release is version 1.0.4.  Write down the
error numbers the next time they crop up.  It could be that you are simply
missing a tool in the System folder, or a file has been corrupted.

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."