[comp.sys.apple2] DuoDisks on the IIgs

edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com (Ed Watkeys) (04/26/91)

I remember when the IIgs came out, they were saying something like this:

DuoDisks will work, but some of the older ones require that you cut a
resistor off or something...

If you're really interested, I could try to find the info in Apple's
service manuals, which I have at work...

Ed Watkeys III

Internet: edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com  ProLine:  edwatkeys@pro-sol
UUCP:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys    ARPA:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys@nosc.mil
BitNET:   edwatkeys%pro-sol.cts.com@nosc.mil

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/27/91)

In article <8840@crash.cts.com> edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com (Ed Watkeys) writes:
>If you're really interested, I could try to find the info in Apple's
>service manuals, which I have at work...

Something was posted here a few days ago detailing what fixes to make
(not only how to "GS-ize" a DuoDisk, but a fix for some older DuoDisks
as well).  I found that I didn't need to make the trashy-disk fix, so
I figured I'd look for the part to remove to "GS-ize" the DuoDisk
(analog board part #676-107).  It was in the wrong place; R39 was at
location C3, not A1.  This being the case, I'd hold off on making that
fix until you get an answer from someone who's done the modification
before.  (I don't even have a GS, but that post from a few days ago is
one of the G-files on my BBS, and I don't want to have inaccurate info
on my system.)  I'm going to try mailing the Compu$erve address
mentioned in the file, but the info was originally posted there over
four years ago; the address may no longer be valid.

Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!