[comp.sys.apple2] Upgrading to ROM 01; Why can't I do it myself?

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (04/11/91)

As some of you remember, I'm stuck with ROM 00 machines at work (original
WOZ editions) and I would like to upgrade to ROM 01. Well, I called the
nearest Apple II store, and they said I needed to bring the machine in to
have it upgraded. When I asked if I could do it myself, he said that my
machine wouldn't be supported by apple then. (As if it was supported now!
:*)

What I am wondering is:

	o What does the upgrade consist of? Just changing some ROM chips,
or what?

	o Why couldn't I do the job myself? I thought that was one of the
reasons that it has this cover come off easily. (I just upgraded the OS in
my ST a few months ago, and that required me to take out a lot of screws,
remove a bunch of shields, and replce the six ROM chips.)

Even though I do cause a lot of turmoil in this group, it doesn't mean I
don't like the GS, I use one almost daily, except right now all I do is use
it as a terminal, and type a few papers every now and then.

Thanks............

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for MAC Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	    MAC HFS floppy disk?       R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/11/91)

On Wed, 10 Apr 91 19:43:48 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>As some of you remember, I'm stuck with ROM 00 machines at work (original
>WOZ editions) and I would like to upgrade to ROM 01. Well, I called the
>nearest Apple II store, and they said I needed to bring the machine in to
>have it upgraded. When I asked if I could do it myself, he said that my
>machine wouldn't be supported by apple then. (As if it was supported now!
>:*)
>
>What I am wondering is:
>
>	o What does the upgrade consist of? Just changing some ROM chips,
>or what?
>
>	o Why couldn't I do the job myself? I thought that was one of the
>reasons that it has this cover come off easily. (I just upgraded the OS in
>my ST a few months ago, and that required me to take out a lot of screws,
>remove a bunch of shields, and replce the six ROM chips.)

When I got mine upgraded a long time ago, they said (i.e. Apple dealer, so
take it as you will) that there are two kinds of ROM 00 GSs out there.  You
have to bring it in so they can tell which set of chips you need.  One version
requires two chips and another version requires three.

Another reason, I've been told, that you can't do it yourself, is because they
want to keep your old ROMs to make sure that they aren't used in counterfit
Apple IIs.  I'm not too sure about this reason, but this IS what I've been
told.

You probably could do it yourself.  It's just replacing two or three chips.

I can understand them not wanting to just give out GS ROMs to just anyone.

>Thanks............

Sure.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/11/91)

On Wed, 10 Apr 91 19:43:48 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for MAC Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
>   ||||   Power Without    What IS the format of a     rc1dsanu@miamiu.BITNET
>  / || \  The Price!!	    MAC HFS floppy disk?       R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

I just noticed the question in your sig.  I also just thought of a variation
on that question that will put a mac user in Deep thought for DAYS.

What is a FLOPPY DISK??

hehehehehe  Sorry, I couldn't resist!

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (04/11/91)

There was an ad in the 100th issue of Incider (more like Invinegar now days)
that had GS specific chips (ROM 01 chip and the VGC chip) for $29.00. It was
an ad with different parts and chips for Apples'.

Daniel Thingvold  thingvol@lax.wisc.edu  <this space is reserved for Bob>

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/11/91)

In article <4783.280324a5@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>WOZ editions) and I would like to upgrade to ROM 01. Well, I called the
>nearest Apple II store, and they said I needed to bring the machine in to
>have it upgraded. When I asked if I could do it myself, he said that my
>machine wouldn't be supported by apple then. (As if it was supported now!
>:*)

  As to 'supported', he probably meant your 90-day warranty.  Which, BTW,
expired around the time of the dinosaurs if you read the fine print.

>What I am wondering is:
>
>	o What does the upgrade consist of? Just changing some ROM chips,
>or what?
   New ROMs
   A new VGC which corrects a bug in early versions

>	o Why couldn't I do the job myself? I thought that was one of the
>reasons that it has this cover come off easily. (I just upgraded the OS in
>my ST a few months ago, and that required me to take out a lot of screws,
>remove a bunch of shields, and replce the six ROM chips.)

   You _could_ do the job yourself.  But let me put it this way- why
do it yourself, when the dealer can do it for you, free of charge. Plus,
if they install it and blow up your motherboard, golly- you'll end up
with a ROM 03.

>Even though I do cause a lot of turmoil in this group, it doesn't mean I
>don't like the GS, I use one almost daily, except right now all I do is use
>it as a terminal, and type a few papers every now and then.

  Get a compiler and get to work! :-)

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

In article <9104102357.AA29302@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>I just noticed the question in your sig.  I also just thought of a variation
>on that question that will put a mac user in Deep thought for DAYS.
>
>What is a FLOPPY DISK??
>
>hehehehehe  Sorry, I couldn't resist!

  Ooh. Better yet-

 Just exactly what happens when I press 'enter'?
 How do icons work?
 What's the difference between RAM, and ROM?

All of these are guaranteed to keep a Mac user in meditation for weeks.
Yeah, they're using their human-machine synergy to find the answers.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAAHAHAHHAH.

(My apologies to Time-Life)

--

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr11.091129.14707@m.cs.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>In article <4783.280324a5@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>>	o Why couldn't I do the job myself? I thought that was one of the
>>reasons that it has this cover come off easily. (I just upgraded the OS in
>>my ST a few months ago, and that required me to take out a lot of screws,
>>remove a bunch of shields, and replce the six ROM chips.)
>
>   You _could_ do the job yourself.  But let me put it this way- why
>do it yourself, when the dealer can do it for you, free of charge. Plus,
>if they install it and blow up your motherboard, golly- you'll end up
>with a ROM 03.

Wrongo,

The Computerland near me offered to replace my Motherboard a while back
(said I had a problem) for $300.00.  It ended up that all I needed was
a new battery (thank God I told them to check the battery first, and
worry about the motherboard later).  Anyway, I asked if it would be the
new ROM 03 board (because I would have considered the switch) but they
said that Apple takes the old motherboards and rebuilds them, so that
the "new" board I would be getting for $300 would actually be a rebuilt
ROM01... I was kinda disappointed, so I didn't bite!

Just thought you should know,
Perhaps Apple's policy has changed, this was about 6 months ago...

Mike

In article <1991Apr11.091811.5720@m.cs.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
> Just exactly what happens when I press 'enter'?
> How do icons work?
> What's the difference between RAM, and ROM?
>
>All of these are guaranteed to keep a Mac user in meditation for weeks.
>Yeah, they're using their human-machine synergy to find the answers.
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAAHAHAHHAH.

Just thought I'd share this one with you...

The Mac where I work is used by about 50 people.  We have installed a
startup screen that says "I'm going to have to erase the roms" and then
shows two mac buttons... one says "no, please dont" and is shaded (to
look like it's not an option), and the other says "okay."  A friend of
mine came up to me the other day and said: "I didn't think you were
supposed to do that!"  He actually thought that the Mac was erasing the
roms on startup!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

Mike
:)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (04/12/91)

On Thu, 11 Apr 91 02:15:00 CDT <THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU> said:
>There was an ad in the 100th issue of Incider (more like Invinegar now days)
>that had GS specific chips (ROM 01 chip and the VGC chip) for $29.00. It was
>an ad with different parts and chips for Apples'.
>
>Daniel Thingvold  thingvol@lax.wisc.edu  <this space is reserved for Bob>

If this is true, then we should be getting some GS clones in the future????
I find it hard to believe that they'd sell the GS ROMs for $30!

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (04/12/91)

On Thu, 11 Apr 91 02:15:00 CDT <THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU> said:
>There was an ad in the 100th issue of Incider (more like Invinegar now days)
>that had GS specific chips (ROM 01 chip and the VGC chip) for $29.00. It was
>an ad with different parts and chips for Apples'.
>
>Daniel Thingvold  thingvol@lax.wisc.edu  <this space is reserved for Bob>

They also advertise in Nibble. The company is named "Alltech
Electronics", and has a very Applied Engineering like logo (don't
people have any imagination these days? Applied Ingenuity tried to
look like Applied Engineering too.)

Anyways, they sell a whole bunch of chips for the ][+, //e, //c, IIgs,
and some Mac parts too.

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (04/14/91)

	Mike Heintz in an earlier message writes:

> The Computerland near me offered to replace my Motherboard a while back
> (said I had a problem) for $300.00.  It ended up that all I needed was
> a new battery (thank God I told them to check the battery first, and
> worry about the motherboard later).  Anyway, I asked if it would be the
> new ROM 03 board (because I would have considered the switch) but they
> said that Apple takes the old motherboards and rebuilds them, so that
> the "new" board I would be getting for $300 would actually be a rebuilt
> ROM01... I was kinda disappointed, so I didn't bite!

> Just thought you should know,
> Perhaps Apple's policy has changed, this was about 6 months ago...

	Apple some time ago stared having all its dealers rather then spend
time time fixing the hardware, just take out the defective unit, put in a
new one, and send the defective one back to Apple. At Apple they would fix
the defective unit and then send it to where they deem fit. It was to improve
dealer response time to problems and reduce dealer training costs. The only
problem is that its a very expenive practise for us the customers. Since
dealers really don't have to worry about whats wrong, they simply misdiagnose
problems {like the battery} and overcharge us. Apple's been having problems
with the battery, it was supposed to last for 5-10 years and gee guess what,
its only lasting 2-5 now...

							- Hal

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (04/14/91)

>	Apple some time ago stared having all its dealers rather then spend
>time time fixing the hardware, just take out the defective unit, put in a
>new one, and send the defective one back to Apple. At Apple they would fix
>the defective unit and then send it to where they deem fit. It was to improve
>dealer response time to problems and reduce dealer training costs. The only
>problem is that its a very expenive practise for us the customers. Since
>dealers really don't have to worry about whats wrong, they simply misdiagnose
>problems {like the battery} and overcharge us. Apple's been having problems
>with the battery, it was supposed to last for 5-10 years and gee guess what,
>its only lasting 2-5 now...
>
>							- Hal

Just wanted to say that I've got a Woz edition, and my battery is STILL GOING...

Platkus

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (04/21/91)

In an earlier article Platkus writes:

>>dealers really don't have to worry about whats wrong, they simply misdiagnose
>>problems {like the battery} and overcharge us. Apple's been having problems
>>with the battery, it was supposed to last for 5-10 years and gee guess what,
>>its only lasting 2-5 now...

> Just wanted to say that I've got a Woz edition, and my battery is STILL
> GOING...

        Well some batteries are going to last longer {depends on how long you
use the system, etc.} However, they did overestimate the life-span of their
battery... Hopefully some will last the estimated 10 years!!!

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (04/25/91)

In article <8940D523879F205A45@MACALSTR.EDU> SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU writes:
>In an earlier article Platkus writes:
>
>>>dealers really don't have to worry about whats wrong, they simply misdiagnose
>>>problems {like the battery} and overcharge us. Apple's been having problems
>>>with the battery, it was supposed to last for 5-10 years and gee guess what,
>>>its only lasting 2-5 now...
>
>> Just wanted to say that I've got a Woz edition, and my battery is STILL
>> GOING...
>
>        Well some batteries are going to last longer {depends on how long you
>use the system, etc.} However, they did overestimate the life-span of their
>battery... Hopefully some will last the estimated 10 years!!!
>
>                                                        - Hal

Just curious, why would the life of the battery depend on System Usage?  Does
the battery only operate when the computer is off?  Also, why didn't apple
put a ni-cad or something that could be charged when the computer was on?
Then you'd never have to repalce the battery.

platkus

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.205722.19257@en.ecn.purdue.edu> platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) writes:
>the battery only operate when the computer is off?  Also, why didn't apple
>put a ni-cad or something that could be charged when the computer was on?
>Then you'd never have to repalce the battery.

Ni-cads don't last forever.  I just had to replace the batteries in a
shaver; it was only two and a half years old.  Also, two other
characteristics of ni-cads may have made them unsuitable:

1) They discharge themselves after about three months if they're not
   Leave your computer off for that length of time and you'll lose
   whatever is protected by the battery.
2) If you don't completely discharge them between charges, the battery
   develops a "memory" so that it won't accept a full charge in the
   future.  (This is the probable cause of the dead shaver; you could
   prevent it by keeping it out of the charger until the thing needs a
   charge.)

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.165225.7586@nevada.edu> alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>In article <1991Apr24.205722.19257@en.ecn.purdue.edu> platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) writes:
>>the battery only operate when the computer is off?  Also, why didn't apple
>>put a ni-cad or something that could be charged when the computer was on?
>>Then you'd never have to repalce the battery.
>
>Ni-cads don't last forever.  I just had to replace the batteries in a
>shaver; it was only two and a half years old.  Also, two other
>characteristics of ni-cads may have made them unsuitable:
>
>1) They discharge themselves after about three months if they're not
>   Leave your computer off for that length of time and you'll lose
>   whatever is protected by the battery.
>2) If you don't completely discharge them between charges, the battery
>   develops a "memory" so that it won't accept a full charge in the
>   future.  (This is the probable cause of the dead shaver; you could
>   prevent it by keeping it out of the charger until the thing needs a
>Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------

I know this about ni-cads, what I ment was why didn't apple choose to use
a rechargable battery ( there are better alternatives to ni-cads ) this
would have made the battery at least last the ten years or more.  Anyway,
Anything would have been better than soldering a battery to the mother
board!  A replacable watch type battery would have been better than this!

Platkus

platkus@ecn.purdue.edu

In article <1991Apr25.165225.7586@nevada.edu> alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>2) If you don't completely discharge them between charges, the battery
>   develops a "memory" so that it won't accept a full charge in the
>   future.

	I have read that recent research has shown that this "memory" may
in fact not exist.  I have always heard about the "memory" too, but it's
interesting that people are researching NiCad batteries at all! (probably
involved in the same research to make huge car batteries)
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /