[comp.sys.apple2] boycott zip

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (04/27/91)

From kluge!uflorida!caen!sdd.hp.com!mips!ptimtc!nntp-server.caltech.edu!toddpw Sat Apr 27 07:37:15 EDT 1991

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:

>. did you also know that one of the guys working on the ASIC chip belonged
>. to the RocketChip project. personally, i'll never buy another Zip product
>. (not that i ever bought one) just because of their lawsuit over Rocket.
>. sure, Rocket probably stole the technology. but if someone from Zip came
>. to work at Rocket, then what is he suppose to do with what he learned.
>. boycott Zip.

Albert, I serious feel like slapping you. The guy in question was hired
as a contractor by Zip, and he was working with Zip's PATENTED caching
technology. His decision to do the RocketChip and attempts to sell it
to AE (wonder what happened to the Transwrap II, eh?) were in blatant
violation of Zip's patent and the guy declared bankruptcy to escape having
to pay damages to Zip. As of yet Zip has not been able to collect any real
damages from the whole affair.

If anybody, the ASIC 65816 should be boycotted, but I won't because
I want one too much. The tech dude at Zip I visited (Steve Meadows)
said they have nothing against the chip itself, but they really wish
it wasn't being co-developed by that jerk (I can never remember his
name, he's the one besides Tony Fadell).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

P.S. Next time check your facts before you announce a boycott, Albert.
.
. ok. my fault. i'm wrong about zip. i spoke with some of the guys at
. bits 'n technologies (or whoever made the Rocket) and they never told
. me about the above (then again, why would they?).
.
. however, that info sure doesn't make zip look like the bad guy. do you
. think Zip will support the ASIC if it becomes a reality?
.
. albert

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/28/91)

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:

>. however, that info sure doesn't make zip look like the bad guy. do you
>. think Zip will support the ASIC if it becomes a reality?

Not directly, they won't. They will be getting more business once the ASIC
works and since it doesn't look like they'll be able to actually get any
damages from the guy who was part of Bits n' Pieces (he declared personal
bankruptcy), they will have to settle with indirect sales boosts from the
ASIC. They have been quite honest about user upgrading of the Zip boards
and I think they are handling it very well.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu