[comp.sys.apple2] The Unknown User

barisano@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Gregg Barisano) (04/26/91)

To the Unknown Accusser,

	It is very easy to "hide behind" a terminal and make
allegations based upon very little information/facts.

	If you have a comments you wish to stand by and support, then
why don't you reply to this group, (particularly SGT Taylor), with your
name and :

	- explain the facts supporting you accusation

	- or acknowledge that you were unjustified in
	  your insinuation

	- or continue to cower behind your pseudonym
	  "the unknown user"

				Gregg Barisano
				CPT, US ARMY

fadden@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Andy McFadden) (04/28/91)

In article <2303@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil> barisano@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Gregg Barisano) writes:
>To the Unknown Accusser,
>	It is very easy to "hide behind" a terminal and make
[snip]
>	If you have a comments you wish to stand by and support, then
[snip (suggestions)]
>	- or continue to cower behind your pseudonym
>	  "the unknown user"

I've known TUU since high school.

He isn't cowering behind a pseudonym, he just doesn't want to broadcast
his full name.  He has his reasons.

While his statements were certainly unfounded, and probably require for
an apology, I don't see how using a "pen name" is cause for extra harsh
treatment.  There is no notion of looking someone in the eye and confronting
them directly on a computer network, so whether he calls himself tuu or
King Lerch or John the Butthead is somewhat irrelevant.

If you wish to slam him further, please you take your flames to E-mail.

>				Gregg Barisano
>				CPT, US ARMY

marekp@generic.UUCP (Marek Pawlowski) (04/28/91)

barisano@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Gregg Barisano) of the
Army Materiel Systems Analysis Activity, wrote in reply to
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu's letter:

>To the Unknown Accusser,

His address is unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu.  Please don't waste precious
net bandwidth with your squabbling.  It isn't appreciated.  Take
it to alt.flame.  As a matter of fact, I think I will do just that!

Not 15 bytes in to your letter, and you have already begun to apply
personal attacks, not very commendable.  Perhaps I should report you
to your superior officer?

>        It is very easy to "hide behind" a terminal and make
>allegations based upon very little information/facts.

It is also very easy to mistakenly mis-interpret one's message,
and apply an "allegation" with little, or NO basis for that
conclusion at all.  That is the problem with the network.  You
can't see the people's faces.  Just their ASCII.  It can be
misleading.

>        If you have a comments you wish to stand by and support, then
>why don't you reply to this group, (particularly SGT Taylor), with your
>name and :

I disagree.  You continually attempt to discover unknown's name.  The
institution which gave him his Internet account, apparantly allows
very vague information to be contained in the personal information
fields usually provided to contain the user's full name, and login name.

Try doing "finger unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu", if you are so keen on
finding out more about this person.

comp.sys.apple2 is NOT damn.you.you.accused.an.SGT.of.pirating.software.

I'm replying publicly with good intentions.  Such things have flared
up too many times around the net, and it must be stopped.

>        - explain the facts supporting you accusation

In private mail.

>        - or acknowledge that you were unjustified in
>          your insinuation

Applying ultimatums already?  I think Unknown is intelligent enough
to realise his options without being hand held by a US Army Captain.

>        - or continue to cower behind your pseudonym
>          "the unknown user"

Hardly the attitude I would expect from such a high-ranking official!
Your mental intimidation, and attempts at making the individual in
question succumb to your demands is quite frankly, pathetic.  Maybe you
should go through boot camp again, and learn to treat people as your
equals, not your opponents.

>                                Gregg Barisano
>                                CPT, US ARMY

I would like to continue this in Email, if you wouldn't mind.
marekp@pnet91.cts.com is the way to go.  See you there!

/* Marek Pawlowski, President, Intelligent Twist Software, 250 Harding  */
/* Blvd., PO BOX 32017, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 9M7, CANADA.        */
/* marekp@gnu.ai.mit.edu, marekp@cerf.net, marekp@pnet91.cts.com,       */
/* marekp@generic.uucp, Voice: (416) 884-4501 4-8pm Toronto time        */
/* "F U cn rd dis U mst Uz Unix" - ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com               */

--