[comp.sys.apple2] New SoundSmith Graphic Player Screen/???Question???

marquard@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Gumby) (04/27/91)

Has anyone else downloaded this new screen for SoundSmith???
It's a pretty cool screen for the Graphic Player.  Shawn Martin did
a GREAT job on this.  It was done with DreamGraphix, and the blending
of the colors in the horse is amazing.  I can't wait till DreamGraphix
finally comes out.  Anyway, the screen is located on comp.bin.apple2

While I'm here, Does anyone know how to get SSmith 095???
(or better yet, What to do with it once you have it)
I have SSmith 094 and got it off tybalt ...the one I have was somethiing
like 695K and was named soundsmith094.boot.bsq ... I see a version 095 on
tybalt, but it is like 180K...there's also 094 which is like 200K...
I've downloaded 095 before but I get some kind of error when I launch it
from the Finder... *** What am I doing wrong? ***
Do I have to exchange some files with my 094 boot or something???

Thanx in advance...

Edge(c/o Gumby) @ Purdue (where the football team sucks, but so do da bitches!)
              "U2 is what God wanted music to sound like..." -- me

kenfair@flammulated.rice.edu (Kenneth Jason Fair) (04/27/91)

In article <11391@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> marquard@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Gumby) writes:

>While I'm here, Does anyone know how to get SSmith 095???
>(or better yet, What to do with it once you have it)

I believe SoundSmith v0.95 can be found in the pub/.../appleii directory
of Apple's directories.  FTP to apple.com.

It may be that the v0.95 archive you had only replaced some of the files
and not the whole thing.  I'm not sure.

BTW, does anyone know if Huibert Aalbers (the author of SoundSmith) has
a UseNET(or other)  address where he could be reached?

Ken

--
+-----------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+
"God does not play dice with the universe."- Einstein | kenfair@owlnet.rice.edu

jmueller@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jim Mueller) (04/27/91)

In article <11391@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> marquard@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Gumby) writes:

>Has anyone else downloaded this new screen for SoundSmith???
>It's a pretty cool screen for the Graphic Player.  Shawn Martin did
>a GREAT job on this.  It was done with DreamGraphix, and the blending
>of the colors in the horse is amazing.  I can't wait till DreamGraphix
>finally comes out.  Anyway, the screen is located on comp.bin.apple2
>
>While I'm here, Does anyone know how to get SSmith 095???
>(or better yet, What to do with it once you have it)
>I have SSmith 094 and got it off tybalt ...the one I have was somethiing
>like 695K and was named soundsmith094.boot.bsq ... I see a version 095 on
>tybalt, but it is like 180K...there's also 094 which is like 200K...
>I've downloaded 095 before but I get some kind of error when I launch it
>from the Finder... *** What am I doing wrong? ***
>Do I have to exchange some files with my 094 boot or something???

There should be a tool you need to copy into your */System/Tools folder.
I believe it is Tool035, but don't remember for sure. Anyone know where
I can get a copy of Tool050 and Tool051? The archive I downloaded
of Bouncing Blusters didn't include these, and it requires them. Thanks.

Jim Mueller

--
|Jim Mueller								     |
|Internet: jmueller@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu                                     |

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (04/28/91)

In article <5758@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jmueller@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jim Mueller) writes:

>>While I'm here, Does anyone know how to get SSmith 095???
>>(or better yet, What to do with it once you have it)
>>I have SSmith 094 and got it off tybalt ...the one I have was somethiing
>>like 695K and was named soundsmith094.boot.bsq ... I see a version 095 on
>>tybalt, but it is like 180K...there's also 094 which is like 200K...
>>I've downloaded 095 before but I get some kind of error when I launch it
>>from the Finder... *** What am I doing wrong? ***
>>Do I have to exchange some files with my 094 boot or something???

	You probably got a Tool Error $46.. and then a crash in
machine...  the problem here is you are missing some tools.  SS v.95
is available on Tybalt.

>There should be a tool you need to copy into your */System/Tools folder.
>I believe it is Tool035, but don't remember for sure. Anyone know where
>I can get a copy of Tool050 and Tool051? The archive I downloaded
>of Bouncing Blusters didn't include these, and it requires them. Thanks.

	That's not true...  Tool035 is need for SynthLAB...  I believe
SoundSmith requires three extra tools...  Tool050, Tool051, and a tool
from the system.tools disk, I believe it is Tool029...

	An easy way to do it, is to install all of the extra tools on
the System.tools disk... there are three, Tool029, Tool032, and
Tool033, and as long as you have Tool050 and Tool051, soundsmith
should run properly... I also remember some discussion, a while ago,
that SS wouldn't run properly, if the boot volume wasn't mounted...

Steven Chiang                  Coming Soon:  DreamGrafix  3200 color power
stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
America On_Line:  DWS Steve    Apple IIgs Forever!

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/29/91)

Soundsmith .94 and later need TOOL032 (MIDI tools) to run, even though they
don't actually use the MIDI port yet.

SoundSmith also cannot deal with disk-swapping, and will crash after loading
tools from the boot disk unless the application volume is still online
(it could be a RAMdisk or whatever). The .94 boot disk on tybalt is ready to
run on a 1.25 meg machine. All other distributions of the soundsmith are the
application files only.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu