[comp.sys.apple2] GS/OS bug??

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/28/91)

After having some weird problems with a program of mine, I found this
possible bug in GS/OS... If you open a file, write to it, take the
disk out and replace it with another one, then try to close the file,
you get a mount volume box (assuming your SysPrefs allows it). If you
choose Cancel, you get a $20 (bad request) error if the disk isn't
write protected, or a $2B (device is write protected) if the disk is
write protected. This is really weird since GS/OS has no business
trying to write to the disk if the volume name doesn't match. Instead,
it should return with a $45 (volume not found), right?

Any comments about this or suggestions for a work-around would be
appreciated.

BTW, I'm using System Soft 5.0.4, but the same problem exists in 4.0.

Thanks!

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (04/28/91)

A _long_ time ago, David H. Huang writes:

[bug when sometimes GS/OS returns write-protect error if disk is ejected]

I believe this is a bug in the ROM 01 SmartPort firmware.  I think it's been
fixed in ROM 03.

Henry
--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (04/29/91)

In article <9104281557.AA19819@apple.com> THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") writes:
>A _long_ time ago, David H. Huang writes:
>
>[bug when sometimes GS/OS returns write-protect error if disk is ejected]
>
>I believe this is a bug in the ROM 01 SmartPort firmware.  I think it's been
>fixed in ROM 03.

Well, I'm glad somebody noticed my message :-) Yours was the first
reply I got! Is this the same bug as the one that messes with some
zero page locations and doesn't restore them, or is this another one?

--
David Huang                              |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |    "How much is that hamster

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (04/29/91)

>>A _long_ time ago, David H. Huang writes:
>>
>>[bug when sometimes GS/OS returns write-protect error if disk is ejected]
>>
>>I believe this is a bug in the ROM 01 SmartPort firmware.  I think it's been
>>fixed in ROM 03.

>Well, I'm glad somebody noticed my message :-) Yours was the first
>reply I got! Is this the same bug as the one that messes with some
>zero page locations and doesn't restore them, or is this another one?

I don't know.  The only thing I remember about the zero page getting messed
up was from a letter in A2-Central that said settting the volume to 0 on a
ROM 3 (thus flashing the border instead of beeping) wasn't a good idea if
you weren't using GS/OS.  Maybe someone from DTS can enlighten us.

>David Huang                              |

Henry
--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET