[comp.sys.apple2] Fan on a IIgs

marquard@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Gumby) (04/28/91)

I have a question about what I did to my GS 's power supply is safe:

About 2 months ago, I got a hold of an internal fan.  I figured that
I'll put it in my GS because I have a couple of cards in it
(memory and stereo card) and figured that it would help cool my computer.

The fan looks like a regular computer fan...had two AC wires coming out...
I could just put the two wires in an electric socket and the fan worked...

I tried connecting it to the 'fan' pins on the GS motherboard (right by
slot 0)  It didn't work.  What's the deal???  I know the fan works.

Anyway, I then decided to connect it directly at the power supply.
I opened the power supply up and soldered the fans wires to the IIGS 's
switch so the fan comes on whenever the cpu 's power is turned on.
It works FINE.  I haven't had any problems with it yet.  No noise or
interferrence whatsoever.  I am just wondering if this might be unsafe
or something...or maybe that it might be taking too much power from the
power supply.
I have been running it for two months with no problems with software
or sound digitizing or anything...BUT I still don't know why the fan
wouldn't run when connected to the 'fan' pins on the mother board.

any comments??? save bandwidth and just e-mail me, unless you think
others would benefit from your knowledge...

THANX IN ADVANCE<<<<<<

Edge(c/o Gumby) @ Purdue (where the football team sucks, but so do da bitches!)
              "U2 is what God wanted music to sound like..." -- me

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/29/91)

In article <11433@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> marquard@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Gumby) writes:
>Anyway, I then decided to connect it directly at the power supply.
>I opened the power supply up and soldered the fans wires to the IIGS 's
>switch so the fan comes on whenever the cpu 's power is turned on.

Sounds like what I did with the fan in my IIe--poke a hole through the
power supply case and run a wire to an auxiliary power supply for a
12VDC fan.  (I originally tapped the +12 and GND wires leaving the
power supply, but I noticed that the fan slowed down every time a disk
drive kicked in.)

>or sound digitizing or anything...BUT I still don't know why the fan
>wouldn't run when connected to the 'fan' pins on the mother board.

The GS motherboard probably supplies 12VDC for a fan.  It won't do a
thing for you if your fan takes 120VAC.

Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!