[comp.sys.apple2] SoftDac

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (04/21/91)

Ok, SoftDac is in tybalt, but under what directory?

DWHITNEY@FORDMRH1.BITNET (04/21/91)

uxa.cso.uiuc.edu!kjs39186@UCSD.EDU>)

>Ok, SoftDac is in tybalt, but under what directory?

Sorry for not saying the directory.  It should be in: pub/apple2/uploads.

---
|David M. Whitney        | Arthur looked up.                         |
|BITNET:DWHITNEY@FORDMRH1| "Ford!" he said, "there's an infinite     |
|GEnie: D.WHITNEY6       |   number of monkeys outside who want to   |
|************************|   talk to us about this script for Hamlet |
|     DON'T PANIC        |   they've worked out."                    |
|********************A*P*P*L*E*2* *F*O*R*E*V*E*R*********************|

marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) (04/21/91)

I have been improving on SoftDac, adding a friendly User Interface, and having
clearer (much clearer) sound quality than the original SoftDac.

Scott is aware of this, as a matter of fact, I'm sending him Beta Version 8 of
it right now.

Are there any potential beta testers out there?  Mail me if so.

/* Marek Pawlowski, marekp@{generic|pnet91|bkj386|torag|aunix}.uucp  [CONT] */
/* marekp@gnu.ai.mit.edu, marekp@cerf.net     "THIS SPACE FOR RENT"	    */
/* President, Intelligent Twist Software, 250 Harding Blvd, PO BOX 32017    */
/* Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 9M7, CANADA.  An ideal route is as follows:  */
/* { Ph: (416) 884-4501 4-8pm EDT } zoo.toronto.edu!generic!pnet91!marekp   */

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (04/21/91)

From marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski):

> I have been improving on SoftDac, adding a friendly User Interface, and
> having clearer (much clearer) sound quality than the original SoftDac.

    Ah, is this friendly-neighbourhood-interface part of v0.8b?  Maybe it
won't disconnect BASIC.System this time.  :)

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr20.175226.5001@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:
>Ok, SoftDac is in tybalt, but under what directory?

Actually, SoftDAC _wasn't_ on tybalt.  It is now, though.  Grab
pub/apple2/uploads/softdac128k.shk for the 128K version, or
pub/apple2/player.shk for the 48K version.  Sounds to play with
SoftDAC are in pub/apple2/uploads/softdac.sounds.

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Support Operation Apple Storm!          / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

georgeb@seer.UUCP (George Bako) (04/28/91)

>From marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski):

>> I have been improving on SoftDac, adding a friendly User Interface, and
>> having clearer (much clearer) sound quality than the original SoftDac.

>    Ah, is this friendly-neighbourhood-interface part of v0.8b?  Maybe it
>won't disconnect BASIC.System this time.  :)

   Will this improved version be able to play files that are faster
or slower than 11k?  I used the Mac program called Apple file Exchange
to convert a LOT of Mac sound files over to my //e, and its great,but
more than half of them won't work because its not an 11k file.

   actually, they do work, but since Sofdac plays it at 11k only
if the file is faster or slower, then Sofdac will play them really
slowly, or VERY fast, depending on how they were recorded..

   Can this feature be put into the next version?

--
=======================================//         I didn't do it,
 UUCP: georgeb@seer.mystic.com        //     nobody saw me do it,   -- Bart

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/30/91)

In article <853@seer.UUCP> georgeb@seer.UUCP (George Bako) writes:
>   Will this improved version be able to play files that are faster
>or slower than 11k?

I have a BASIC program sitting around that requantizes sounds into 11
kHz from 1.0-44.1 kHz.  It's dreadfully slow, though (it took 12 hours
to do about half a meg sampled at 20.0 kHz).  Once it's in assembly,
though (how long ago did I say I'd convert it to assembly? :-) ), it
can go into SoftDAC.

The odds of playing 22 kHz sounds directly is anywhere from slim to
none.  The timing for 11 kHz is tight enough on a system with a 1-MHz
clock.  (There is the possibility, though, once I get my RocketChip,
that I could play with the program to deliver faster speeds or more
bits in a sample.)

Call the Skunk Works BBS (702) 896-2676 / v \ 6 PM-6 AM 300/1200/2400
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( Apple II:
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ the power to be your best!